Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used (somewhat stock) 2005 Ninja ZX-6R with 22k miles on it and super stoked with it. Started out riding my other bike (2014 Harley Davidson 883) for the past 1-1/2 years. After putting about 12k miles on it, I figured it was time to get one of these sexy ass machines to share in the mileage.

Attached is a picture of me riding on the freeway (brother took the pic from his car) and another of my bike sitting pretty. Also attached a picture of my 883 incase any of you are wondering.

Mods on the way-

Carbon Fiber Yoshimura exhaust (dat sexy sound tho :yumyum:)
Fender eliminator license bracket and light
and a brake reservoir replacement cause It looks old and brittle

Not very good at these introductions haha, just saying whats up people!
:nana:

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome.
Thats a damn good looking bike. I love the 05'
I like the 883 as well but they've always felt a bit short on power to me.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
^ not worth it.......

Apparently it is okay to have skin grafs and broken ankles etc but not okay to crack your head against the ground

okay it was worth it..........

Just think of all the room for new ink that would free up- see there is a pot o gold at the end of the rainbow

Reactions: PowerGroove

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Welcome, OP.

It took me a few years to accumulate the gear I have today... started out like most people do, with the minimum required to meet the limit of the law. Face planted into the pavement at 35 MPH in sneakers, courdoroy slacks, and a tee shirt kind of started changing my perspective.

CA did not have a helmet law at the time. Textiles weren't common, in 1986. I started wearing gloves, and my flight deck boots-- over the ankle steel toed lace up boots. Blue jeans, and a FF helmet. I didn't own a dedicated jacket until it got too cold to bear what I had at the time. Added better gloves, before I added a good jacket.... used an A2 bomber jacket for quite a while. Nice heavy leather, no padding, poor stitching -- wouldn't have held up in a crash with any prolonged sliding.

Took a few years off 'til my kid was older.... bought a textile jacket with armor and rode with a series of ever improving gloves -- to this day I ride in steel toed boots. Now, I have multiple pairs of riding pants with armor, as well as multiple armored jackets -- mama now has me in about 5 different pairs of riding gloves, depending on temps. Most have armor, and all are constructed to survive at least one pavement surfing event.

I always wear eye protection inside my FF helmet. Keeps the amount of bugs and debris getting into my eyes to a minimum, and I can chose to ride with the visor open as much as I want. Any more, I use shatterproof safety glasses for this; for years it was teardrop aviator sunglasses.

I almost always wear ear plugs. I like to be able to hear at the end of a ride.

I have ridden from San Diego to Portland, OR in one sitting (gas and pee stops only). Getting sunburnt and dehydrated at the same time is a special kind of s*ck.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Reactions: Goatfather

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the gear nazis. It's not that I'm tryin to look cool, quality gear is expensive. I've only been riding for a year and have other expenses. Hospital bills would cost more I understand but I'm not out there hauling ass or popping wheelies. 12k miles in one year is a lot, I ride as safe as I can. I will buy riding gear though appropriate for the bike. But I don't weekend ride, I commute so I also want to look some what normal and not look like I'm going to a track day. Which is why a jacket is on the list. I have another jacket with armor pads but it's loose fitting which I usually use with the harley.

As for that harley, it is slow but I wanted to learn on a slow bike. it is still fun to cruise around in though.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Gear can save at any speed, anytime, any location. That is the thing about accidents and crashing, if you knew when it was going to happen, one simply wouldn't ride at that time.

Dress for the slide, not for the ride..

Doesn't mean you have to have a full race suit, but definitely more than what the pic depicts....

And we only harp on it because we have all seen the aftermath when someone is inadequately geared

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
It's always great to see these types of posts and think back to where I was mentally when I first decided to start riding street. 1 get-off later and countless miles, I sure have come a long way. I hope you take a similar path and I'm somewhat excited to see where you stand in a year or so (hopefully).

FYI, your gear comments above are extremely juvenile and you still have a lot to learn. Get ready to get ripped about those comments here shortly, lol.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
It's always great to see these types of posts and think back to where I was mentally when I first decided to start riding street. 1 get-off later and countless miles, I sure have come a long way. I hope you take a similar path and I'm somewhat excited to see where you stand in a year or so (hopefully).

I have it for posts too...

Shit what if that happens with this post...

Ey3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gera can save at any speed, anytime, any location. That is the thing about accidents and crashing, if you knew when it was going to happen, one simply wouldn't ride at that time.

Dress for the slide, not for the ride..

Doesn't mean you have to have a full race suit, but definitely more than what the pic depicts....

And we only harp on it because we have all seen the aftermath when someone is inadequately geared
I'm not even at all, I totally understand. I commute everyday to LA about 45 miles just one way and see moto accidents daily. It's happened in front of me. That picture of me is not an everyday thing. It was hot as fuck that day and my normal jacket is too bulky. I wasn't even sure I was gonna buy that bike that day. Only reason there is a picture of me at all is because my brother took me out there to get it. But it's no excuse, I'm with you and gear is priority these next couple months.hopefully the jacket this weekend. I'm looking at alpinestars but I'm new to street bike gear. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
For new:
Motorcycle Gear | Buy Motorcycle Helmets, Jackets, Parts, Tires & More

They have buying guides on youtube and exceptional service.

I have also bought from other sources. Specifically Revzilla. They offered nice service, and had knowledgeable staff.

For used:
Classifieds here or other sportbike forums, eBay, Craig's list etc.

It doesn't have to cost a bunch, and dressing for the weather is important. If it's too uncomfortable to wear it is distracting and tempting to leave at home.

Ey3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For new:
Motorcycle Gear | Buy Motorcycle Helmets, Jackets, Parts, Tires & More

They have buying guides on youtube and exceptional service.

I have also bought from other sources. Specifically Revzilla. They offered nice service, and had knowledgeable staff.

For used:
Classifieds here or other sportbike forums, eBay, Craig's list etc.

It doesn't have to cost a bunch, and dressing for the weather is important. If it's too uncomfortable to wear it is distracting and tempting to leave at home.

Ey3
Thank you, I'll check the classifieds.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great looking bike man. Welcome to the forum.

Side note: I showed up to buy my 250 with a helmet and nothing else. Added gloves when I got my next check. Mom bought me a jacket that didn't fit quite right. Now I have a Joe Rocket jacket that fits great, matching gloves, planning on buying some riding boots when I need shoes next instead of buying new shoes. I'm sticking with jeans for awhile though probably. haha

I can't afford gear all at once either. Just do the best you can man it sounds like your head is in the right place. I can't see myself riding without it at all anymore, even in 115+ degrees out here in AZ haha. And I'm sure once I get the boots and pants I will wonder how I rode without those either.

Ride safe, I commute about 30 miles to/from work on my 6r also. Welcome to the club haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great looking bike man. Welcome to the forum.

Side note: I showed up to buy my 250 with a helmet and nothing else. Added gloves when I got my next check. Mom bought me a jacket that didn't fit quite right. Now I have a Joe Rocket jacket that fits great, matching gloves, planning on buying some riding boots when I need shoes next instead of buying new shoes. I'm sticking with jeans for awhile though probably. haha

I can't afford gear all at once either. Just do the best you can man it sounds like your head is in the right place. I can't see myself riding without it at all anymore, even in 115+ degrees out here in AZ haha. And I'm sure once I get the boots and pants I will wonder how I rode without those either.

Ride safe, I commute about 30 miles to/from work on my 6r also. Welcome to the club haha.
Hahaha thanks dude

1 - 20 of 27 Posts