Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in farm country, and field/crop maintenance is a machine intensive process. The weather dictates some of the finer points of what needs to be done at what time, so there is a certain random element to the transfer of equipment from one location to the next.

Case in point, this crop sprayer was doing it’s maximum road speed of 30 mph as I was on my way to a medical appointment…. Too wide to fit in one lane. Combine Harvesters are many times larger, and can completely fill this two lane blacktop, without the reel on the front.

It sucks to be running at speed, drop into a blind corner and find out you have nowhere to go. This is why I ride alone as a rule.

Plant Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forest rats are both unpredictable individually, and predictable as a breed.

Because they are prey animals, when their flight response is triggered there is a tremendous amount of random involved in what they do. Travel in a straight line at a steady speed approaches certain death for them. Hence the sudden changes in speed and direction when they run from something.

They also oblivious during the rut. Crazy to stupid, in nothing flat.

What IS predictable, is where you’re most likely to encounter them. Deer remain concealed as much as possible. Encountering deer while operating a vehicle almost always occurs where they want to cross a road. Accidents occur at intersections……. Regardless of whether it’s a human or deer crossing.

They’re even worse at judging the speed of an oncoming motorcycle than car drivers.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deer can hide behind something a Rottweiler would not be able to use for cover. The closer a line of concealment comes to a road, that’s where you can expect the greatest chance of an encounter. Culverts, ditches, brush lines, even deep shadows all offer cover.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah a lot of my preferred riding area has monster sight line changes depending on how tall a given crop is. Soy beans aren't much of an issue, but corn and sorghum absolutely make a difference. Once the fields are planted, most of the equipment stays off the fields, and off the roads. From May to July everything is usually short enough to allow speeds in the range I like to run.

around harvest time, the hunters start appearing.... First scouting where they plan on doing their thing, then chasing after their dog packs via the radio collars. Lots of mud on the roads, many sloppy exits and entries to the pavement..... Any deer running from the dogs are in full flight mode without any concern about anything except what's chasing them.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The deer in Ft AP Hill aren’t as stressed by hunters relative to the farmland surrounding the base. I know that the base is roughly 25 X 25 miles which comes out to roughly 400,000 acres. Lots of restrictions for access due to unexploded legacy ordnance. Riding through the base, I could easily reach out and slap a deer feeding at night on the shoulders of the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts