Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drain bolt looked a little janky before last oil change, so i decided i would get a new bolt before next oil change. Came out to a little puddle of oil (about 2 weeks ago). I cinched it up just a little, about 1/8 turn. I got a new bolt yesterday. Did the swap with oil in (only spilled a tiny bit). Went to cinch down new bolt. Stripped.

I'm not using helicoil, and not gonna tap it out. To much of a weak spot. I'd RTV it in but that bolt could easily shake loose. Looking at oil pans.

FML

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Yeah. Good idea. No sense messing with your life for the cost of an oil pan. I would get a new oil pan as well as/drain bolt and gasket. With the correct oil and oil filter and be done with it. Peace of mind. :)

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found an oil pan from an 06 with 8k miles for $85. Or do I go $160 completely new?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found an oil pan from an 06 with 8k miles for $85. Or do I go $160 completely new?

Buy the used one as long as it checks out good. No sense in spending twice as much on something if you can get one that will clean up like new. That's just my opinion, though.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motorsport.com $130 free 3-day shipping. Done.
Given its not a moving part, but because of low torque mating aluminum surfaces...
The one is on eBay. Dude has legit feedback. But if something happens I'm fucked. Extra $45. I'm cool with that.

So I can't reuse exhaust gasket?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've bought used oil pans for my cars in the past and they never gave me problems. Just be sure you have a good gasket.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Given its not a moving part, but because of low torque mating aluminum surfaces...
The one is on eBay. Dude has legit feedback. But if something happens I'm fucked. Extra $45. I'm cool with that.

That sounds like a good deal.

Not sure about the gasket. I reused gaskets for car oil pans, but that might be different. :O

·
Registered
7,605 Posts

Can't may be a strong word on this....but since they are copper crush gaskets I never do, and wouldn't risk it for the cost of the gaskets vs the time involved to have to redo your work later.

If it were one of the non crush type gaskets (yamaha) then sure reuse a bajillion times....
definitely new pan gasket

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would go new. Used you are right back were you started, maybe. Not worth it.

I'm just saying as long as it checks out it'll be just fine. Any damage and he could get a refund. However that motosport one is a good price for new and if that'd been an option I'd have said that. $160 is too much in my opinion.

Oh yeah, new gasket is a must. Its an added expense but peace of mind is worth the little coin. Whenever I buy a used motor I replace all gaskets as I've found out the hard way what could happen. LOL.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here's the pics of the used one..looks like that bolt has seen better days, it's been flattened..which means this is prob from a wrecked bike..my 14k oil pan is WAY cleaner then this one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Eh, it looks like the bolt may have taken a hit and ground down, though its strange it looks like the washer or pan underneath the bolt is also messed up.

Just get the new one. That pan could have a hairline crack that could pose issues down the road. I'd only buy that one if it was $60 shipped. I've used parts in worse shape than that, that I've had to do a little cleanup and deburring and/or refacing, but I can't see it in person and I don't know your skillset and what you've got in your toolbox.

My official stance is now buy the new one (OEM or after market).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If you can swing it new is your best option I've used pans that look great but have tiny cracks that leak once its running Fuck swapping out a pan twice to save 40 bucks

·
Registered
4,305 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
That blows, dude.

This seems to be more prevalent on the R6 and a lot of those guys replace it with a Stahlbus unit which is pretty sweet. Check it out!

Oil drain valves - Bleeding brakes - simply intelligent oil change, leakfree disconnect lines! Our solution: The stahlbus Bleeder Valve, the stahlbus Oil drain valve and the stahlbus Quick disconnect coupling.
Holy hell, that thing looks awesome! However, it's $70 before shipping, lol!? I don't have a problem with the drain bolt and any messes (at least not any issues worth $70). My issue is the absolutely terrible placement of the oil filter on the 08.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Holy hell, that thing looks awesome! However, it's $70 before shipping, lol!? I don't have a problem with the drain bolt and any messes (at least not any issues worth $70). My issue is the absolutely terrible placement of the oil filter on the 08.
It is a pretty awesome product but is a bit pricey. Well engineering German product that is worth the money, though.

The oil filter placement on the 07/08 model is simply idiotic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts