Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..
I am taking my 2018 zx6r to the track this weekend. Can anyone tell me what the tire pressure should be on the stock tires for track day? I will be going to Summit Point. This is my first time on track with this bike and second time ever in general going to track.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Bridgestone S21

Recommended cold PSI

front: 30
rear: 27

Bridgestone_MC_tyre_inflation_Racing.PDF

Except the stock tires are not the bridgestone S21 that bridgestone sells to the public.......

oe tires may well say that designation on the sidewall, but they are anything but the same tire.....

furthermore, someone doing a trackday for a second time ever is totally different than someone racing (and anyone worth their salt in racing sure the hell isn't doing it on S21's)

To the OP....

I would say if you run 30 psi-32psi front and rear you will have all the grip you will need and use at a trackday event without having too much tire flex or too much heat (but there are tons of factors involved in getting optimal pressures)....... just set it and forget it (far more important things to keep your mind occupied) and ride the trackday and keep in mind, the only winners are those who take their bike home still all in one piece and enjoyed as well as learned good things that day

·
Registered
208 Posts
dont know your pace, but assuming you are an average "newb" on track, I would say start your first session on the same pressure as you use on the road. Then if you want start reducing aiming to 32/32.

If you are dragging your knee everywhere, .....then follow above advice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
dont know your pace, but assuming you are an average "newb" on track, I would say start your first session on the same pressure as you use on the road. Then if you want start reducing aiming to 32/32.

If you are dragging your knee everywhere, .....then follow above advice.
I'm just your average dude on a 600 having some fun in the novice group, so I will take your advice on the road pressures and maybe after the first session go see the "tyre guys" and see what they say on the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'm not on the dragging knee level yet and the main reason I was asking is because it's supposed to be 90+ degrees on Sunday when I'm out there so I wanted to see what my stock tire pressure should be going into the first session and after the first session.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Thanks! I'm not on the dragging knee level yet and the main reason I was asking is because it's supposed to be 90+ degrees on Sunday when I'm out there so I wanted to see what my stock tire pressure should be going into the first session and after the first session.
The hotter it is, the more air you need to start with in the tires

more air keeps the tires cooler......

If you go there with 32/32 in your tires- nothing bad is going to happen and you will have plenty of fun

I would not go with the 36/42 that is suggested on your swingarm or in the owners manual........... unless of course you are running so slow air pressure is a total non factor whatsoever, and if that is the case.....then why go?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The hotter it is, the more air you need to start with in the tires

more air keeps the tires cooler......

See, I would have said the exact opposite - on a hot day / track you would need to remove more air from the tyre to keep the same pressure.

Either way, i presume you are not using tyre warmers and so after you come in from 1st session, immediately check your pressures and adjust accordingly. It is only the hot pressures you are interested in.

I remember the first time i put a set of track tyres on (Metz Racetec) and set them to the recommended race pressures and went out without using tyre warmers..............felt SHIT and thought from was going to fold!!!

Hence i would always suggest starting of on your normal pressures . You then get the nerves/1st session out the way, readjust pressures back to your road settings (they will have gone up 3-5psi) and have another session. Then start start reducing from there.

try
36/36 cold 1st session
36/36 hot 2nd session
32/32 hot thereafter

I doubt you will notice a huge difference, but tyre wear will be better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I remember the first time i put a set of track tyres on (Metz Racetec) and set them to the recommended race pressures and went out without using tyre warmers..............felt SHIT and thought from was going to fold!!!

try
36/36 cold 1st session
36/36 hot 2nd session
32/32 hot thereafter
I like this idea for those of us without warmer, thanks for the hint man :hail:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts