Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep, it's another LED thread (just what you were hoping for right?)! I figured I don't have a ton to offer mechanically but I can at least share the one thing I know how to do now that I have completed the process.

Couple of things:

First of all I don’t care if you like LED’s, I am not here to please you, I am here to please me. I wanted increased night visibility for safety and I happen to like the LED look.

For those who do enjoy LED’s I did a pretty simple install and thought I’d share what I used and how I did it in case someone else wants to try.

Secondly and obviously tweak as you see fit and add more/fewer lights as you see fit or even wire it differently.

Parts:
1. Red 16 Gauge Automotive Wire Everstart 51652-76-04 16-Gauge Red Primary Automotive Wire, 30-Feet: Automotive : Walmart.com - $5.99
2. Black 16-18 Gauge Automotive Wire - Everstart 51651-76-08 18-Gauge Black Primary Automotive Wire, 40-Feet: Automotive : Walmart.com - $5.99
3. 12V Remote Relay Switch - Amazon.com: LOGISYS RM02 12v 15A relay w/ remote control kit: Electronics - $16.99
4. 24inch Rugged LED Strips (For under the left and right fairing) Alpena/24 in. rugged LED (77526) | LED Lighting | AutoZone.com - $24.99
5. 2x 4inch LED Strips (Front and rear) CIPA EVO Formance 4" LED Ultrabrights, Blue: Automotive : Walmart.com $14 (total)
6. Some form of fuse holder (I’ve read it’s recommended to use a 15amp fuse for LED’s so anything 15 or better) $10
7. Electrical connectors kit (Optional) – I wanted clean connections so I used connectors and did my wiring neatly. You can just use electrical tape and save $$ if you wanmt.

Steps (probably worth noting I have a 2012 ZX6R):
1. I placed one full strip in each of the left and right fairings and ran the wire up through the front of the bike, underneath the handlebars and just under/to the left or right of the gas tank.
2. I placed one 4 inch strip under the air intake and ran those wires up through a small hole in there and back alongside the gas tank
3. I placed a 2nd 4 inch strip just above my license plate. This is the only one not wired into my normal on/off switch. I wired this one directly to the OEM wire so these are always on when the bike is on (since this replaced my OEM license plate light).
4. I placed the fuse in line between the remote switch and the battery and then connected up all of the wiring. For complete wiring idiots like me:
a. Connect the ground wire to the ground on the battery.
b. Connect the DC IN directly to the fuse connected to the battery.
c. Connect the DC Out directly to the hot/power in wire of the LEDs
d. Connect the ground wire from all LED’s to the ground wire of the remote unit
5. The remote unit fits nicely under the seat

I didn't take any pics or anything as I was going but there's really not much to figure out that would require pictures. Here's a rough and crappy diagram. The little square box under the seat is supposed to represent the remote relay. Too lazy to add it to the pic and reupload.

*Note these pics look WAY brighter than they do IRL. I've done something to my DSLR to get it out of idiot mode and my night pics are all coming out overexposed.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Yep, it's another LED thread (just what you were hoping for right?)! I figured I don't have a ton to offer mechanically but I can at least share the one thing I know how to do now that I have completed the process.

Couple of things:

First of all I don’t care if you like LED’s, I am not here to please you, I am here to please me. I wanted increased night visibility for safety and I happen to like the LED look.

For those who do enjoy LED’s I did a pretty simple install and thought I’d share what I used and how I did it in case someone else wants to try.

Secondly and obviously tweak as you see fit and add more/fewer lights as you see fit or even wire it differently.

Parts:
1. Red 16 Gauge Automotive Wire Everstart 51652-76-04 16-Gauge Red Primary Automotive Wire, 30-Feet: Automotive : Walmart.com - $5.99
2. Black 16-18 Gauge Automotive Wire - Everstart 51651-76-08 18-Gauge Black Primary Automotive Wire, 40-Feet: Automotive : Walmart.com - $5.99
3. 12V Remote Relay Switch - Amazon.com: LOGISYS RM02 12v 15A relay w/ remote control kit: Electronics - $16.99
4. 24inch Rugged LED Strips (For under the left and right fairing) Alpena/24 in. rugged LED (77526) | LED Lighting | AutoZone.com - $24.99
5. 2x 4inch LED Strips (Front and rear) CIPA EVO Formance 4" LED Ultrabrights, Blue: Automotive : Walmart.com $14 (total)
6. Some form of fuse holder (I’ve read it’s recommended to use a 15amp fuse for LED’s so anything 15 or better) $10
7. Electrical connectors kit (Optional) – I wanted clean connections so I used connectors and did my wiring neatly. You can just use electrical tape and save $$ if you wanmt.

Steps (probably worth noting I have a 2012 ZX6R):
1. I placed one full strip in each of the left and right fairings and ran the wire up through the front of the bike, underneath the handlebars and just under/to the left or right of the gas tank.
2. I placed one 4 inch strip under the air intake and ran those wires up through a small hole in there and back alongside the gas tank
3. I placed a 2nd 4 inch strip just above my license plate. This is the only one not wired into my normal on/off switch. I wired this one directly to the OEM wire so these are always on when the bike is on (since this replaced my OEM license plate light).
4. I placed the fuse in line between the remote switch and the battery and then connected up all of the wiring. For complete wiring idiots like me:
a. Connect the ground wire to the ground on the battery.
b. Connect the DC IN directly to the fuse connected to the battery.
c. Connect the DC Out directly to the hot/power in wire of the LEDs
d. Connect the ground wire from all LED’s to the ground wire of the remote unit
5. The remote unit fits nicely under the seat

I didn't take any pics or anything as I was going but there's really not much to figure out that would require pictures. Here's a rough and crappy diagram. The little square box under the seat is supposed to represent the remote relay. Too lazy to add it to the pic and reupload.

*Note these pics look WAY brighter than they do IRL. I've done something to my DSLR to get it out of idiot mode and my night pics are all coming out overexposed.
Fantastic write up for sure. Great job on the lighting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of the few LED jobbies I have actually enjoyed looking at. Nice work. Looks much more quality than some of the disco balls I've seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts