Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are steering dampers that important? Does it make that big of a difference? They came stock on the 09-12 zx6rs but not on the 13. Prices for the shitty ones on the 09-12 are anywhere from $400-$750. I don't do track days...Yet but sometimes i like to do some riding down backroads, and occasionally speed. This video just freaks me out Motorbike Gets Extreme Speed Wobbles and Crashes - YouTube
Im pretty sure everyone has this seen this video a million times

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Are steering dampers that important? Does it make that big of a difference? They came stock on the 09-12 zx6rs but not on the 13. Prices for the shitty ones on the 09-12 are anywhere from $400-$750. I don't do track days...Yet but sometimes i like to do some riding down backroads, and occasionally speed. This video just freaks me out Motorbike Gets Extreme Speed Wobbles and Crashes - YouTube
Im pretty sure everyone has this seen this video a million times
No.

·
Registered
861 Posts
People say its a crutch. Shit I'm sorry but not many people can ride a tank slapper out. Depends on how you ride. Do wheelies? Then def I would. I revalved mine for insurance because my asshole would pucker right up and then I'd eat shit if that happened.

Wouldn't say its important. Depends on roads and how hard you ride. Even then you might not ever get close to a tank slapper.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
\Prices for the shitty ones on the 09-12 are anywhere from $400-$750.
The ones on the 09-12 are not the same as the ones you buy aftermarket. Same brand but it's almost like a street version, that's why people send it off to get revalved. So the ones you see for $400+ are not shitty ones.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones on the 09-12 are not the same as the ones you buy aftermarket. Same brand but it's almost like a street version, that's why people send it off to get revalved. So the ones you see for $400+ are not shitty ones.
I was told for the same price i can get an aftermarket one for the same price as the stock ones on the 09-12, I just don't know if its worth me saving up and actually purchasing one. $400 is a lot of money that i just don't have on hand, but lots and lots of overtime can make it accessible

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
The 09-12 Ohlins just need to be revalved and they are fully competent dampers. I'd look for one from someone parting a bike out and see if you could grab it. Then spend $100 to get it up to spec and you have a quality damper. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Like Corvus said is your best bet. I think on ebay you can get one. Here is one for $100http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=290885954066

Reactions: showat

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like mine on the '09 it does help, at least that is my opinion. It does take some strain and fatigue off you forearms when trying to correct your line on the freeway, highway, and interstates due to wind or that infamous high speed wobble. At high speeds taking the back roads the damper keeps the bike from wobbling and when cornering it will help keep the alignment steady so it does kind of cheat a persons sense of abilities.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just got a brand new gpr for $325 on eBay. They are too if the line.
Go on eBay and look. Obviously you're on a brand new bike so deals that good may not be out there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've got an extra revalved öhlins I was going to give my buddy for his 08 but the brackets and hardware to mount it on his bike is stupid expensive. If your intrested in a purchase pm me and we can work something out. I also have the revalved öhlins on my bike.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
this a joke? its a joke right...? :laugh

Get a Scotts Damper. I love mine and dont see how people ride without it.

anytime i get on a bike that doesnt have one i dont feel as safe in hard corners :crazy

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Like others have said, depends on your riding style and the roads you typically cruise.

I have one on my daily commuter and I can tell you it made for a more stable confident ride. I take Rt 95 up north to work every day from Manhattan and my path is littered with pot holes and shitty roads. The damper wasn't necessary, but I do feel more comfortable now that I have one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts