Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on the best steering damper for an 06 636r.
Ohlins, GPR, scotts, or hyper pro???? Thanks:)

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Everyone will be biased to whatever brand they have. I'm a hyper-pro girl myself but I've never used anything else. It's never let me down though and works great. Looks good, too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Anything speed sensitive would be just fine imho. The hyperpro RSC is excelent as is the scotts/ohlins rotory damper.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've never really needed one...

I must ride like a pensioner. :dowhat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm of buying a steering damper myself, how easy are they to install, could i do it myslef with my limited mechanical knowledge, or would it be better to take it to the bike shop to get it put on? Cheers

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've never really needed one...

I must ride like a pensioner. :dowhat
I don't use one on my street bike either. I'd go to jail long before I could get my bike to shake its head enough to care about:)

The MX/off road bike has a Scotts though as it had serious stability issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'm quite happy without one on the street as many of you are, but my husband wants to give my 636 a try on the track. He has an R1 race bike, but his buddy is coming to visit from the UK and will be riding his bike for a couple of track days. The front straight here at Willow Springs, CA is a long one, the damper will stop the head shake! After deliberations, I'm going to give the ohlins a try.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ohlins is good and stuff but the ones that come on the zx10 are not as good as the aftermart ones, don't know y but that's what u get for free lol, just like the dampers that come stock on the gsxr arnt all that great but its a start

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI: The only problem with the damper that comes on the zx10 is that it can not be made very stiff, even with full adjustment. They can be reworked by replacing some interal components and they will act like the after market ones.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
FYI: The only problem with the damper that comes on the zx10 is that it can not be made very stiff, even with full adjustment. They can be reworked by replacing some interal components and they will act like the after market ones.
That's what I was talking about that it can't be stiff, but I didn't know that u can buy new interals to make it better, that's good thing to know, take pics of the bike with the new damper

·
Registered
14 Posts
damper

as for the best. most people swear by ohlins. but unless you are racing on the pro lever, i doubt that you would be able to pick out the little differance between them. also it depends on if you are wanting a rotery one, or a linear style. rotery is smaller and more compact, but i am partial to linear, dont know why, but i just like them better.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a GPR on my 2001 ZX-6R and love it. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got my ZX-6R - I ge teh logic of a damper but in practice do they make that much diff? This is one thing missing from my new baby and am thinking about getting one fitted........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts