Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a Steering Damper but just trying to find a good one that is out there. Any suggestions? :O

·
Registered
411 Posts
gpr, scotts,..... seach ebay or just buy new i love mine gets me out of tank slappers, an 3rd gear sit downs are strate

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If they are set up right yep they certainly do make a difference.
Once you've had a slappery type bar situation, that has been prevented by one you notice the difference.

Which reminds me I really need to get my Ohlins ZX-10R one set up proper cause it really does 2/5's of stuff all I will be hopefully getting it a Racetech treatment soon.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i dont have one, is there really a benefit to having one ? jw
i have always said a 600 (or 636 for the pedants) :satisfied: doesnt need a damper but i had a huge slapper (leave it!) last year while passing a car at max revs in 3rd or 4th.
a light front over a crest and a couple of bumps was all it took.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
i have always said a 600 (or 636 for the pedants) :satisfied: doesnt need a damper but i had a huge slapper (leave it!) last year while passing a car at max revs in 3rd or 4th.
a light front over a crest and a couple of bumps was all it took.
I've tankslapped the piss out of my j2 at road atlanta in a race going around 90...which ended in me being "dazed" laying on the track, a red flag, and no recollection following the thought 'oh bawls, this could get interesting.'

Yes, a 600 needs a damper in extreme conditions to prevent catastrophic headshake. For the record I had a damper but some twat didn't locktite the setscrews when the dealer replaced my ignition after my bike was stolen, and i didn't think to check them. The slapper actually bent the damper bracket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i dont have one, is there really a benefit to having one ? jw
depends on the bike, the rider and the road/track.

An 03 R6 needs one, an FZ1s doesnt.

Even bikes that come as standard with steering dampers can be made to shake the bars (late 750 srad, 06 R1) but if you are smooth, slow/medium paced or ride good surface roads then you would never know.

Had my 1st shake of the bars today on my 1st ride but am happy with the feel without a damper. It was no tankslapper though, no mistaking when you have one of them!

Defo would go for a speed sensitive job or not at all if investing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Had my 1st shake of the bars today on my 1st ride but am happy with the feel without a damper. It was no tankslapper though, no mistaking when you have one of them!

Defo would go for a speed sensitive job or not at all if investing.
mine was shaking for the three years i had it and i was happy without a damper.
a chain of events will come (crest of a hill, slight bump, full throttle and near max revs) as it did to me.... it was violent and ripped my hands from the bars :shocked:

mine is a speed sensitive one and out of the 15 settings it has i use the minimum setting 1 for town use and when the pace gets hot i up it to no more than setting 3. works a treat and i dont feel its there :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
mine was shaking for the three years i had it and i was happy without a damper.
a chain of events will come (crest of a hill, slight bump, full throttle and near max revs) as it did to me.... it was violent and ripped my hands from the bars :shocked:

mine is a speed sensitive one and out of the 15 settings it has i use the minimum setting 1 for town use and when the pace gets hot i up it to no more than setting 3. works a treat and i dont feel its there :)
Yep, that puts you in 10-20% of peeps that may benefit. Lots of riders out there would never get a shake of the bars, let alone a full blown tank slapper. btw, steering damper is no guarantee of stopping one. I had a monster slapper on my R1 that nearly spat me off. All for the sake of being an @rse when pulling away hard on cold tyres. Luckily my @rse landed back in the seat! Maybe a quality damper instead of the $2 dollar job yam fit as standard would have worked better?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts