Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on steering dampers? I have been looking at some and i don't see how they can work attached to the top of the forks as surley the forks dont have any movement in them! Am I being thick or is there an explanation?:O

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
They don't attach to the forks, but the triple tree. When there is a sudden sideways force inflicted on the front wheel you will go into a head shake (So if you hit a pothole, or accelerate over a crest when putting too much pressure on either bar etc). A head shake is when the bars go into a 'wobble', if its severe enough you'll end up eating bitumen. The steering damper reduces the severity of the head shake by passing oil through a small hole (It doesn't sound all that technical, I know!) thus almost completely stopping the head shake or reducing it's sabotage on your bike control. If you look at the picture, imagine pushing the right bar towards the nose of the bike, the blue thing will move towards the right hand side of the silver bar. I'm not explaining this very well. Erm, they work anyway. I personally don't know how I rode without one. The bike feels like it's got roots in the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on steering dampers? I have been looking at some and i don't see how they can work attached to the top of the forks as surley the forks dont have any movement in them! Am I being thick or is there an explanation?:O
:rotfl get a gpr damper looks the bis ,and don't get damaged on a fall:rotfl

·
Registered
604 Posts
i run a gpr on my 01 zx-6r and love it...a bit pricey but worth it....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts