Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Stator problem

13K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jasona25 
#1 ·
I have a 07 zx6r staying on charge will start then after it shuts off the bike will not start back sounds like a dead battery jump and the same thing the lights dim down while running need help asap has a new battery

#2 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome!

It sound like you have one or more of the following three problems:
  1. Bad battery
  2. Bad stator
  3. Bad regulator/rectifier

I'm attaching the section of the service manual that shows the procedure for testing each of these components to figure out which one(s) are the problem.

Attachments

#3 ·
At this point all 3 most likely..........

Reactions: Strider
#4 ·
you could do like me, replace the battery Fixed? No! replace regulator. Fixed? No! Look at stator, OH it has a burned coil!!! Replace stator life is good - anyone need a good regulator for a FZ6? :)

Get a voltmeter, check voltage when running. If it's not 14.5 to 14.7 at 4,000RPM you probably have a regulator problem. That's the very simple diagnostics. Best way is to take a bit of time and systematically check your system. There are some good threads that tell how.

As for me I have an Electrical Engineering degree and therefore don't need to do systematic troubleshooting or read manuals. :)

For my current bike I needed a USB outlet so bought one off Amazon that has a built in voltmeter. Nice as I can tell it on and also see the voltage so will get an quick indication something isn't right with my electrical system. It's handy for keeping my phone charged while using it for navigation and charging my GoPro.

#5 ·
The regulator limits the maximum D.C. Voltage which can be put to the battery..... Too high, and the electrolyte boils away. That's why you should never see more than 14 and change. 16, regulator is bad.

There are a number of reasons the measured voltage may be low, at the battery.

1) The alternator may be damaged, and isn't producing enough current to make the voltage.
2) there may be too much resistance to allow enough current to flow to make the voltage.
3) there might be too many things drawing power, which drops current flow to the battery, resulting in low voltage.

I 've always liked amp meters to indicate what is going on with a charging system, much more than measuring voltage. Easy to watch the battery recharge.... More current flow at first, dropping off as the battery approaches capacity. Discharge is always shown as negative flow.

Odds are good your stator (part of alternator) is burnt and has shorted out so it can't produce enough current.

The underlying question, is why? Nothing sucks more, than making the same 'fix' repeatedly.

It might have reached end of life and simply worn out. That wear can be accelerated dramatically, by shorts, or excessive load.

A multimeter will aide in sorting through the possibilities.

#7 ·
So I took the battery and had it tested and charged its holding a charge when they done the load test it show weak but for now the bike is starting and running good I bought it from a guy and he said the stator was bad I guess he didn't charge the battery or ride it enough haven't had anymore problems yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.