Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around and just want to check with some people that know the bike better! I have a 2005 zx6r 636 and last ride of the season last year I left it outside a store and came out and wouldn't start, so I pop started it and it was good. 10 minutes later on my way back my dash started flashing on and off and then I proceeded to lose power and had to pull over, I pop started it 3 times before it worked and was able to finally get back to my garage. I figured it was my rectifier/stator/battery and left it for the winter. Now I got back from Colorado and now it won't start at all, had it on a trickle all winter and battery has enough voltage to start it(12.4/12.6), tested the regulator I think correctly and I'm pretty sure its shot, tomorrow I will pull and check the stator, also its the original battery. However all the posts I see with bad rectifiers or stators start up still, so I'm curious if something else may be a factor? Hoping for some input or ideas, thanks people! Also this is my first post I am new to the forum!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Probably a bad battery. The voltage can still appear to be normal, but once a load is placed on it the voltage drops too much. If the battery is good, you are correct that it should turn over even if the stator and/or rectifier is shot. However, if the bike is running only on the battery, and the rectifier/stator aren’t providing enough power to keep the battery charged, the battery is going to die.

First thing to do is use a known good battery - one that can start another bike for sure - you can even use jumper cables in a pinch. Once the bike is running, you should check the charging system by putting a volt meter on the bike battery and see if the voltage is to the service manual spec (it varies with engine rpm). You may have guessed correctly that the voltage recorded while the bike is running should be higher than the batteries resting voltage in order to keep the battery charged. Get that service manual downloaded.

I would start with the above before pulling stators...

Oh ... and the above is based on my assumption that when you say the bike “won’t start” you mean it won’t even turn over. Bikes can “turn over” and still not start.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Original battery from a 2005?

I highly doubt it. Hook it up to your car battery and see if it runs. While running, check for voltage at the battery terminals. What is it?

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
But do not have the car running when you do jump start it

How did you test the stator or the reg rectifier? and have you actually tested the battery?

get it load tested after you buy a proper charger and actually make sure it is fully charged! 12.4v is less than 50% charged by the way........... if the battery is not holding atleast 12.7v for days on end off the charger it isn't actually fully charged at all (there is a huge difference in cranking amps available between the two)

but if it is, and I highly doubt it.......... but if by some miracle that is still the oem original battery the bike came with 13 years ago- it is time to get a new one anyways, it has served its useful life and then done it again........ break open the piggy bank and buy a new battery, a good one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I meant it won't even turn over, just clicks, sounds good first thing I will do is try to jump it and see if that works, no point in buying parts for no reason, and yea from 2005. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts