Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been having some problems recently with my 2000 zx6r, when starting it, it seems like it only wants to turn over half of the time, and when i do get it fired up it has a misfire.. i replaced my plugs, funny thing is this all started happening when i replaced my battery a couple weeks ago.. its got good compression and doesnt have a fueling issue so it seems to me like coils, r/r, or stator, anyone else have any ideas what it could be?
symptoms are:
doesnt turn over most the time
misfires when running
likes to idle low when at a stop (~1000 rpms)

when i first turn the key and hit the start button ill usually only hear 1 click then nothing, kinda like a dead battery, but if i try a couple times itll slowly turn over and then fire up..

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I would start with a new battery. I have received a defective battery before and since you're tracing this back to a battery replacement, its a definite possibility.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but do you think a bad battery is liable for the misfire? and what do you think about the first and fourth spark plugs burning hotter? could that be from ignition coils not doing their job properly?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had similar problem on a '99. Ended up being a dirty ignition switch. Some bumping and jiggling would do the trick. Never cleaned or replaced as it was a rare problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The battery is responsible for quite a bit more than people realize.
Like Redandblack said, get that battery replaced.
I replaced the battery on the girlfriend's 84 f150 and the truck seemed to not want to idle and after you turned it off, it kept lugging the engine like it was still trying to go.
Swapped that one out and everything is working 100%

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so say i replace the battery again (havent done yet) if that doesnt fix the problem what would u guys suggest being the next replacement? kinda on a tight budget so im wanting to knock this out with the first punch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to add too, now a lot of time when starting itll crank for a few seconds, then stop, for a few minutes after itll give the one click (sounds like relay) then nothin, then sometimes itll fire up and be idling bad almost to the point where it wants to shut off

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update: my friend came over with his zx6r so i used his battery to try and start it to see if the battery made any difference (it didnt) so i put my battery back in and tried one last time, it turned over, fired up, which by then i noticed it had an odd smell to it (not really gassy or oily but something wasnt right) and right as i was turning it off i noticed the bike was smoking from the front under the tank :cry: it wasnt a massive fuming white cloud but you could tell it wasnt right, so far the starting problem sounds like the starter motor or starter relay, but this smoking has got me all the way f'd up, i took the tank off, air box and checked all the wires down underneath, and all wiring is solid and none of it looked like it got burned up, anyone out there think they know whats happening here? :O:thumbdown:

·
Registered
338 Posts

I have no helpful advice on this. Only cheeky responses...

·
Registered
69 Posts
So.... is there any chance that when you pulled the tank and air box and all, you got some gasoline on the engine? I just pulled the tank off my my 07 zx6r the other day to paint and quite a bit of gas got out and about everywhere. Could have been just a tiny bit of gas burning off..?

What about all of the other maintenance stuff? Oil, airbox and all?
Valve adjustment?
What about fuel injector cleaner?
How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
being gas was what i had figured caused the smoking but not much had spilled when pulling the tank, 22k miles, valves adjusted 3k ago, oil change 1500 miles ago, all matinence is kept up, carbs are the least suspect to me since i run seafoam in it every once in a while, im going to replace starter relay since thats the cheapest and a likely part of the problem, of not im going to pull the starter motor and have it bench tested

1 - 11 of 11 Posts