Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some advise with a project that I have just started. I bought a zx600 1988 model with heaps of extra parts including two full sets of fairings, complete front and back ends plus the original bike. I bought it from an old guy and he reckons it has the original dash which shows 33k's.

Battery was no good, and the fuel tap was not working so I've jury rigged a funnel and hose to get fuel to the carby system. I've cleaned all spark plugs and have proved there is a good strong blue spark.

Using a car battery to start, it kicks over okay but doesn't fire, I've removed the old air box and even tried aerostart to no joy.

Any ideas? I figure either timing or carburetor system issues?

Thanks

Hypasonic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as a further note, the motor turns over for about 5 seconds then the starter relay clicks, could be an issue with the starter system?

I'd love to get the motor going before pulling it down to paint and sort the frame out.

Thanks for any help.

Hypasonic

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Reviving an old bike that has sat for years presents quite a few areas that need attention. I would have to think the odds of starting the bike at this point are near nil. If it turns over without and major clattering or squealing, stop there for the moment.

Pretty sure the carbs are going to be completely full of tar and deposits. There's also a very strong possibility of rust in the tank, which means flakes of metal getting into the jets in the carbs at some point in the future.

Not to mention all of the vacuum lines will be dry rotted -- not expensive to replace, but time consuming to be sure. Manifold boots may also be rotted.

Electrical contacts also need to be looked at. Every single one.

Braking components will need to be torn down -- brake fluid absorbs moisture, which will collect at the lowest points of the system and possibly corrode holes into the piston bores. As well as the lines getting rotten.

Suspension? Tires? Chain?

Get a good checklist of things you want to inspect.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Service manual...

But definately cleaning the carbs would be a great place to start at

As far as the only cranking over for about 5 seconds then clicking. Battery is fully charged? connections are good?(all of them-engine ground, starter cable at all 4 points, frame ground, starter relay contacts, ignition switch connection, starter button contacts and connectors, there are dozens of electrical connectors you need to verify are clean and make good connections), none of the wires getting hot or the starter?, starter sprag clutch? cylinders rusty or otherwise full of shit/siezed/blown up creating excessive resistance to the pistons moving making the system work super hard?

5 seconds of crank time is not enough to check compression, but you still could do a leakage test
Check valve clearances, pay special attention to the rockers arms for wear or burning...it is a forked rocker and they don't like one valve having more clearance than the other

1 - 4 of 4 Posts