Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started riding and purchased a 1995 ZX6R about a month ago. I have been having some problems starting the bike in the morning (i use the bike to go to work). When I first press the start button i can hear the starter crank over, and the engine barely try to start. After i hit the start button again, the starter cranks but the engine doesn't start at all. Keep in mind I'm not holding the starter button down excessively, only a second or two. I have also tried to hold the throttle open a bit, and fully open to start the bike with no success. I have also tried the choke at various positions with no success.
I tried to remedy/test the problem by doing a push start (which shouldn't make a difference because the starter cranks over fine) but it does start the bike. In fact, i have tried to push start unsuccessfully, but then (with the bike stopped) used the starter button to successfully start the bike. After the bike starts it runs fine, no sputtering or issue that i can tell.
It SEEMS like when i push start the bike it clears the seemingly flooded engine.
The funny thing is, when i leave to go home after being at work for a normal 8 hour day, the bike does not have this issue starting.
I thought there may have been a fuel vacuum tube issue, so I also tried to turn the petcock to the OFF position after i get off the bike at night, but it does not seem to help.
As a side note, i have been getting crappy mileage with the bike. If i ride only in town i get 28-30mpg. I tested the bike at freeway speeds and got 38mpg, but this still sounds too low.

Could this be a carburetor float bowl issue?
Am i getting poor mileage because i need to get the carbs cleaned?

Any and all advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure that it is flooding? Are you smelling a strong odor of gas? I have a 96 and have spent WAY too much time working the kinks out of my carbs. While riding are there any other issues? Also any bolt ons?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
honestly the only thing you should do is get a manual. look up non starting symptoms online and start to diagnose the problem one variable at a time. start with the basic solutions and work your way up. if you think its the carb floats go get a vernier caliper and measure 17mm from the appropriate distance (base of bowl to top of float resting gently on the float pin) its hard to be an arm chair mechanic unless its something very specific, here it could be many things you just have to figure it out on your own or you could take it to a shop. i learned by a manual and the internet, it took some time but its worth it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
id be willing to bet your out of sync... the fact that it wont run during cold start but will when warmer and that your getting crap for fuel economy is a tell tail sign of a sync issue...

take em out, clean them extremely well... use piano wire to clean the ports and jets...DO NOT TOUCH THE RUBBER DIAPHRAMS WITH YOUR FINGURES!!!! use clean latex gloves. the oils in your skin will corrode the diaphrams... once perfectly clean, soak them with the bowl caps off in a tub of gasoline or if you can find it "Yamaha tuff stuff cleaner"...then let it sit overnight... it will break up the remaining junk if any. then DRIP DRY IT!! DO NOT USE A AIR GUN OR ANYTHING...IT WILL DAMAGE THE OR CLOG PARTS...

after all said and done, reinstall. make sure the vacumm lines are properly orientated...
get a 4 carb sync tool from motion pro or somewhere reputable... then do a sync or have it done for you by a shop....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts