Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my other issue is my starter. I've also found a few threads on this that did not quite answer my questions. Basically since last spring the starter has been kind of moody. It was having trouble starting every so often maybe once or twice a week it would give me trouble. This problem became more frequent until now where it does it almost every time and I occasionally need to push start it.

THE PROBLEM: When I go to start the bike the starter makes a loud, screeching, scratching, banging sound (i hope that makes sense) I have to fiddle with the starter for a bit and eventually the bike starts up. Like I said the bike push starts just fine so I'm hoping its a problem with the starter and nothing more.

MY QUESTION: How much is this going to cost me at a motorcycle shop? I know absolutely nothing about starters so I am apprehensive about even attempting this on my own, so I was wondering if anyone knows about how much this sort of repair will run me

again any relevant/useful information would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
if you take the generator cover off you'll find your starter and coil there. maybe the gear is messed up or something. but all the starter is is it justs spins the engine allowing it to start. i have a starter motor off of a 2000 zx6r and the starter gear as well. they arent compatible the F1 starters and J1's but maybe you can make it compatible and save some money or something.

Im not sure how much but im pretty sure the starter motor is expensive and shops charge around $60-80/hour and most take their time doing their job. if you have the manual it should be easy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a little advice. THese days, if you have an older bike such as yours and mine, and not in warranty etc, then I dont use motorcycle shops. They are wayyyy to expensive. I have found good mechanics on craigslist, traveling mechanics, that do work on the side and will come to you. They charge way less than a shop and you can sit and watch them as they work. Its cheaper and the majority of the time these are good honest guys just looking to make some extra money on the side. Check craigslist

1 - 3 of 3 Posts