Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 95 and the starter is no longer engaging i can hear it spinning like a drill but will not catch what should i look at first i heard that it could be the starter clutch and also to take off the cover over the starter and gears could i just pop this off i have the manual but it shows poping that plate off only when they did a full engine takedown any tips? also is there any oil behind that plate

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
yes, there is going to be oil behind the side cover. Stand the bike upright on a rear stand and it will help control spillage, but have a drain pan underneath it just to be safe. It does sound like a starter clutch issue, usually not too big of a deal to replace.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Also you can pull the starter motor out, hook it to a battery and see if the shaft pops out. It's the kind of starter motor that pops the shaft out to engage the idler gear to start the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick replies i will check it out in the morning and see what the deal is with the starter push starting my bike is becoming a pain

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So an update on the bike i pulled out the starter and it was woking as it should so i took off the cover on the left side to figure out what the issue and the main gear that has the starter clutch is in was very sloppy and moved alot sounds like its going to be the starter clutch and tips on changing it do i have to split the case or can i just pull off the charging system with a flywheel puller and just throw it on there

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts