• Yes

Votes: 715 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 552 43.6%

Starter bike ideas?

144K views 1K replies 648 participants last post by  Mahk 
#1 ·
Did you start on a 600cc?

I'm curious if any of you started riding for the first time, ever, on a 600cc bike. Seems to be a tender topic that is argued over a lot, and I want to hear opinions on this. Personally, no I started on dirt so 600cc bike wasn't really an option. I did start however on a 250cc dirtbike, and my first ever street bike was a ZX6R. Seems like everyone I talk to states "you need to start on a 250, anything else is illogical and childish."

Although, I find that statement to be extremely false. I hope most of you agree with me.

#3 ·
well I am a new rider and I have a ZX6R so far so good. I mean I understand that the bike is powerful and I respect it. However I will suggest first starting in a empty parking lot and the first time on the street should be at night when you're by your self on the street that way you have no one to worry about. At least that what I did. In addition you should be fine since you been riding dirt bike. Again I am only a beginner

#802 ·
I think if your just starting out on a bike you dont know vert well u shouldnt ride alone incase somethibg does happen u want soneone there.

#4 ·
nope.. When i first started you had to have a 250 or less to learn on for 15 months min..

#5 ·
My first proper bike after doing my full licence was my ZX6R..

When I was a younger kid, I had a couple of off-road bikes, so riding wasn't new to me, but on the road was.
Been a few years now, and no problems.

:)

#7 ·
I learned to ride on various dirt bikes, but my first street bike was a Z750S. Bigger than our ZX6R, but "only" made 100whp after the slip-on, but was a more up-right and much more torque which made leaving stop lights easier, as well as made cornering easier with being able to shift less and let the torque pull me through the corner.

I miss that bike, but I still think I'd have been a better rider now if a started on a Ninja 250R.

Anything can be your first bike/car as long as you know your limits and respect the power

#10 ·
Started on a Harley amf 125 then went to a 97 Harley fxdwg. They were no fun

#11 ·
And countless dirt bikes and 4 wheelers

#14 · (Edited)
well technically i guess lol. my first was a 650r, had it for about half a year and got bored (i had previously learned how to ride a motorcycle by watching youtube) with it, and got the 636, i love it, but will definitely be moving up to a liter once I can afford a S1000rr or an 1198

Reactions: Fishbowl
#808 ·
Did the same thing here. Mine was an 09. 55mpg beating on it all day was nice. Easy to flick around which made it easy to get used to getting your knee down there, grew out of it in a season got 1000 MORE than i payed for it and moved up to a 04 6rr. In my opinion it was the way to go for me. Cheap start up cost. You get a new bike that needs pretty much no maintenance and then when you grow out of the motor and have an idea what your doing the jump to a 600 is easy.

#16 ·
I have you all beat I started on a Ruckus 49cc of raw power could barely hold on most of the time. 45 mph is way fast. Just kidding , but no seriously I did start on a ruckus. I didn't think I would get into a bigger bike. I just bought it to customize it and it landed me on a zx6r about 10 months later.

Reactions: Plaid
#17 ·
I started out on an 83 Suzuki tempter 650 lol. Got it for free! Needed carb work, tires, gauges, and new lights. Rode that for a year, sold it and bought my 03 636. Had that for 2 years then wrecked it. Picked up my 07 zx6r this year and love it! 600 no less :)

#18 ·
Started on a 1982 XR80. Then... Yamaha YZ80, Honda XL250, Honda CR125, KTM 250, Yamaha YZ490, Husky 400WR, 90 ZX7, 06 ZX6rr.

#19 ·
I road friends motorcycles when I was about 19 for about three months. Im 42 now. Lost interest and went back to class in late 06. Bought a 2007 650R candy plazma blue. Awesome bike. Sold it in early 2010 and got the zx6r. If I could afford two bikes with insurance I would of kept it. It was a parrallel twin with lots of low end. Never been down yet.

#25 ·
Started on dirt. Then went to a Ninja 250 for a while before getting my ZX6R. I got the 250 first because I knew that I wasn't mature enough at the time to behave on a 600/636.

~ b00ph3

#26 ·
sorta. i got a katana 600 and rode it a few times, but the 2009 ninja 250 was my first real bike that was registered and ridden regularly.