Votes: 710 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 542 43.3%

• Total voters
1101 - 1115 of 1115 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my younger years I occasionally rode small 50/125cc bikes, but not on a regular basis.

Now some 20 years later, I've picked up a ZX6R 600cc Ninja. This will be my regular ride.
Plus also recently I passed my 'big bike' tests, to acquire my full motorcycle license (to entitle me to ride the big bikes).

So in answer to the OP question, I'm essentially jumping onto a 600cc bike, without building up the riding skills on smaller engined bikes first.

......you only go as fast as you open the throttle! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
This again?

This is such a beat into the ground topic it's not even funny haha. Honestly you are the only one who can be the judge of what your first bike is. I personally started on a ninja 300 and after about 600-700 miles i sold it for my 2015 ZX6R. I got the hang of riding very easily. Driving a standard car all my life may have something to do with the clutch and throttle "give and take" method but i know guys who have started on busas and super sports or liter bikes and have never been down. The choice is ultimately yours at the end of the day. Just remember the more motor you have under you the less forgiving it's going to be. It's all about feel and muscle memory. Learning those "sweet spots" so to speak is really the tricky part and the more powerful bikes have very sensitive throttles and really just want to GO and take off haha. The grabbing point on the clutch and how much throttle to give so your not bouncing the needle off the limiter is usually just going to come to you with some riding and feeling for the bike. No one knows you better than you do. Take some time and think it through. Can you start on a big bike? Yup! Is it ideal? I guess not if you wanna look at the logistics of it but it certainly can and has been done flawlessly before. Be smart about it regardless of the bike and take it slow! Just make sure whatever you decide to ride it's a Kawi :) Safe riding mate!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started back when I was only 6 years old on dirt bikes so I tend to be the longest riding guy in my riding groups.
But in 2016 I got my first Sport bike. I started on the Ninja 300 to see how I liked riding on the street with a good round bike.
By the end of the year I switched to my ZX6R. tbh though I could of probably started on the 600 and been fine.
All about being responsible with the throttle and getting to know the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I first started in a parking lot on base I was riding my friends Honda CBR F3 and when I later transfer to Virginia Beach, Va I rode and dropped a 2002 ZX-7R but my 2003 636 is my first legitimate bike after a 16 year sabbatical from riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I learnded on a yamaha r3. On country it depends what you license requires. I am happy to had learn on the smaller one, lighter weight, cheaper parts, and could go to a 600 with good habits made already.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I started on a 2019 Ninja 400 I bought in December 2019. Sold it and bought a new 2019 Ninja zx6r last month, February 2020.

In some ways I'm glad I started out on a lightweight, probably a good idea although I lost money selling the ninja 400.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Starting on a smaller displacement bike gives you more room for error whereas a bigger bike does not. If you were to accidentally pin the throttle on a smaller bike you can still safely adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I technically started on a Can Am Spyder, my first 2 wheel bike was a Honda VFR 1200. I have gone down in cc's because the zx6r is more fun on the track and canyons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The famous thing first bike a 600 is for road bikes not dirt.. pass your test and start on a ninja or r6 straight off test ,when you throttle it goes fast going to work shopping ..I open my throttle abit it goes fast so quick so my view is bikes like zx6r and others is a positive bike for a ride a bike for life..

·
Registered
381 Posts
A must watch video for those doubting smaller displacement starter bikes. It’s about the riders skill and knowing his bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Davidlnrd

·
Registered
86 Posts
I started on a 1967 Yamaha RDS1 250..just decided one day I wanted a bike. Thing was almost as old as me..20. Then went to 1979 CB750SS. That was a cool bike , heavy , not that fast but looked great. Picked up an RD 350 GP racebike and an H2 750 triple 2 stroke ( really like 2 strokes) then finished up with an RZ 350. Now Im on the new ZX6R. Glad I started on the 250 as it taught me a lot...about having good tires and what happens when you don't. It was the only real crash I ever had in 10 years of year round riding..25 years later I'm back and rediscovering things. Still want another 2 stroke. Nothing like them.

1101 - 1115 of 1115 Posts