Votes: 710 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 542 43.3%

• Total voters
1061 - 1080 of 1115 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I started on a 600cc and never rode a dirt bike or motorcycle in my life. I just decided one day I wanted to try out a bike. As long as your responsible, not an idiot, respect the power and do the right research anyone can start on a 600.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I started on a 600cc and never rode a dirt bike or motorcycle in my life. I just decided one day I wanted to try out a bike. As long as your responsible, not an idiot, respect the power and do the right research anyone can start on a 600.
A twist of the wrist + YouTube vids

·
Registered
3 Posts
First Street bike I owned was a 636.... First one I ever rode was a 600. Rode dirtbikes for a long time before that though. I don't think they're too much to start on, but it depends on the rider

·
Registered
6 Posts
start on a 600! :)

A 600cc may be a little much at first, but be careful and if you survive the first week you will be fine!
I tell all my friends not to bother with a 250 because they are all testoterone filled young men like me. The only one i couldnt convince was my step brother, he wouldnt shut up about how he wanted to get into riding safely and responsibly and he got himself an 08' ninja 250 because it looked cool.

I reluctantly rode it home for him, and asked in return he did me the favor of telling me as soon as he decided i was right and he should have gotten a bigger bike.
On Friday we got the bike and got it to my house. at about 6pm
On saturday he learned to ride in the grass, and took it home
Yesterday on Tuesday at 3:13pm i got a text: "I want a faster bike lol"

it took him 5 days to want more.

I started on an R6
my best friend started on a CBR F4I
another buddy of mine started on a TL1000R

I would get an SV650 or Hyosung GT650R at minimum, and would get a ZX7/ZX7r or GSXR 750 at maximum for your first bike.
Some people start on Liter bikes and if you are very responsible and have the self control... for for it i guess, but i think a 600 is perfect to start on.

finally: id recommend you buy one that has some scuffs/been on the ground before. you will save some money and your first bike will probably meet the pavement once or twice anyway. you will either forget it's in first and let go of the clutch, or forget you cant park bikes on hot asphalt, or step in a pothole or who knows!

i'd be happy to browse your local craigslist ads and point out a few! let me know!

hope this helped a little and good luck!
-Axel

·
Registered
78 Posts
first sbk ever.. CBR1000RR.. after a year, rode a friend´s 600 and fell inlove with the way it handled... nowadays i keep riding 600s, i only miss the brutal torque delivery, which can be "matched" with good gearing..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I started on a 300. I kinda regret it and wish I just went straight to a 600. But the 300 is an easy bike for sure it is very forgiving for a noob and wont hurt you easily lol. It is now my commuter bike as I work on my 636.

·
Registered
18 Posts
started on a 500. i think it was good I how to ride on a smaller bike that does 30 in first instead of 80. Had that bike for almost exactly a year. I feel after riding that and moving up i am more comfortable with this bike and what it can do. But it is nice that my zx6r can out run that bikes top speed in second gear :bounce

·
Registered
135 Posts
Grew up on dirt bikes and ATVs (3 wheelers so that tells you how old I am!). My first street was a 2012 Ninja 650. Great bike for a a noob, upright, low power, handled OK. Rode it for 6 months, got bored, traded it in on 2013 ZX6R and couldn't be happier.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
My first bike ever was a 2001 r1. Rode it with a friend who tried to school me for a bit.
He parked his bike in the front wheel of a car though, so i stopped riding for a couple of years. Now when i have my license, i wonder how i survived those 2 summers...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started on a ninja 650 and don't regret it. It was tame enough to be a good beginner's bike but still had enough power that I wasn't bored after a few months. After about a year I upgraded to an R6 and I still remember how amazing it felt the first time I went full throttle on a 600. Probably a good idea I didn't start on one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started on a 07 Yamaha YZF R6S, very user friendly and the ride height is lower than the original R6 and also less powerful with a "friendlier" suspension. If you feel a 600 is too much than try a 250 or Kawi or Hondas new 300's....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I started on a ninja 650 and don't regret it. It was tame enough to be a good beginner's bike but still had enough power that I wasn't bored after a few months. After about a year I upgraded to an R6 and I still remember how amazing it felt the first time I went full throttle on a 600. Probably a good idea I didn't start on one!
I started on a 650R as well, then to the R1 and a ZX6R to add. Definitely a little bit easier I felt learning on the 650R first rather than starting with the Zx6R or even the R1 ha. I would say 650R lasted me about 9 months before I got sick of it

·
Registered
203 Posts
I started on a 650R as well, then to the R1 and a ZX6R to add. Definitely a little bit easier I felt learning on the 650R first rather than starting with the Zx6R or even the R1 ha. I would say 650R lasted me about 9 months before I got sick of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started on trials bikes , had a 280cc gas gas as a first bike which was really torquey , then upgraded to a 250 beta evo.
My first road bike is my zx6r j1, so far im undecided if I like the whole sports bike package as it's completely different to what I'm use to and finding it difficult to gain trust in controlling the bike, mainly due to the bars position I think
maybe more time on it I'll get use to it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I rode a 1978 BMW R100/7 for my first bike when I was 15 years old, was a great motorcycle..

Didn't start riding sport bikes until around year 2000...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I went against what most people suggested....

1.) first bike is a zx6r 636

2.) Its basically new zx6r 636

I'm still learning riding in parking lot, around neighborhood, and streets. I'm luckily enough my streets during weekend early is empty, they are very wide and long. I haven't taken it on the highway yet. I'm definitely in no rush either. Having a great time learning nice and slow :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I went against what most people suggested....

1.) first bike is a zx6r 636

2.) Its basically new zx6r 636

I'm still learning riding in parking lot, around neighborhood, and streets. I'm luckily enough my streets during weekend early is empty, they are very wide and long. I haven't taken it on the highway yet. I'm definitely in no rush either. Having a great time learning nice and slow :)
Congrats on the bike man. You will love it once you get comfortable on it. While I agree a first bike should be a small bike you will be glad you have a bike you can grow into rather than a bike you will grow out of real quick once you get comfortable on it. Take it easy and keep the rubber side down :)

1061 - 1080 of 1115 Posts