Votes: 542 43.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you start on a 600cc?

I'm curious if any of you started riding for the first time, ever, on a 600cc bike. Seems to be a tender topic that is argued over a lot, and I want to hear opinions on this. Personally, no I started on dirt so 600cc bike wasn't really an option. I did start however on a 250cc dirtbike, and my first ever street bike was a ZX6R. Seems like everyone I talk to states "you need to start on a 250, anything else is illogical and childish."

Although, I find that statement to be extremely false. I hope most of you agree with me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
well I am a new rider and I have a ZX6R so far so good. I mean I understand that the bike is powerful and I respect it. However I will suggest first starting in a empty parking lot and the first time on the street should be at night when you're by your self on the street that way you have no one to worry about. At least that what I did. In addition you should be fine since you been riding dirt bike. Again I am only a beginner

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
nope.. When i first started you had to have a 250 or less to learn on for 15 months min..

·
Registered
238 Posts
My first proper bike after doing my full licence was my ZX6R..

When I was a younger kid, I had a couple of off-road bikes, so riding wasn't new to me, but on the road was.
Been a few years now, and no problems.

:)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
started on a 250cc

tested rode it before i had a licence infact almost crashed when i went down a gear instead of going up.

rode 250 for 18 months before i "outgrew" it then looked at zx7 and settle on the 600.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I learned to ride on various dirt bikes, but my first street bike was a Z750S. Bigger than our ZX6R, but "only" made 100whp after the slip-on, but was a more up-right and much more torque which made leaving stop lights easier, as well as made cornering easier with being able to shift less and let the torque pull me through the corner.

I miss that bike, but I still think I'd have been a better rider now if a started on a Ninja 250R.

Anything can be your first bike/car as long as you know your limits and respect the power

·
Registered
197 Posts
No. I rode dirt bikes all my life so I jumped directly to a z1000. I heavily modded it out and then sold it. Bought a '11 zx6r and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
546 Posts
dirtbikes first, wreckd alot on dirt. so i bought a 650r out grew it in a 4 month period well really stunting it in a plot ended up totalling it out then i picked up an 04 gsxr and was perfectly comfy on it!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Started on a Harley amf 125 then went to a 97 Harley fxdwg. They were no fun

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
And countless dirt bikes and 4 wheelers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I started on a vfr 750 V4 and for a first bike it deffinately was way to much and too heavy

·
Registered
301 Posts
first bike was a gsxr 600 i had ridden like 85cc dirtbikes but that aint count soon as i turned 17 i bought a 600.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well technically i guess lol. my first was a 650r, had it for about half a year and got bored (i had previously learned how to ride a motorcycle by watching youtube) with it, and got the 636, i love it, but will definitely be moving up to a liter once I can afford a S1000rr or an 1198

Reactions: Fishbowl

·
Registered
639 Posts
started on a 08 250...learned on it, beat on it, put 2500 miles on it in 4 months and sold it for the 3200...the same amount i bought it for...

you cant lose i.m.o, startn on a 250!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have you all beat I started on a Ruckus 49cc of raw power could barely hold on most of the time. 45 mph is way fast. Just kidding , but no seriously I did start on a ruckus. I didn't think I would get into a bigger bike. I just bought it to customize it and it landed me on a zx6r about 10 months later.

Reactions: Plaid

·
Registered
385 Posts
I started out on an 83 Suzuki tempter 650 lol. Got it for free! Needed carb work, tires, gauges, and new lights. Rode that for a year, sold it and bought my 03 636. Had that for 2 years then wrecked it. Picked up my 07 zx6r this year and love it! 600 no less :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Started on a 1982 XR80. Then... Yamaha YZ80, Honda XL250, Honda CR125, KTM 250, Yamaha YZ490, Husky 400WR, 90 ZX7, 06 ZX6rr.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I road friends motorcycles when I was about 19 for about three months. Im 42 now. Lost interest and went back to class in late 06. Bought a 2007 650R candy plazma blue. Awesome bike. Sold it in early 2010 and got the zx6r. If I could afford two bikes with insurance I would of kept it. It was a parrallel twin with lots of low end. Never been down yet.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Zx6r 636 06... First bike ever. Started with this and I'm not getting off it.

1 - 20 of 1113 Posts