Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, need a little input...

I browsed the topics briefly but didn't notice anything exactly like the issue I'm having, so forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death previously.

I'm on an '07 and have had a history of electrical problems with it thanks to the former owner who didn't know what he was doing on some mods.

The bike is dying out on me mid-turn, mid-stoplight, after revving- you name it. It happens mostly randomly.. not any one thing will trigger it everytime. I was suspecting overheating (usually in the 220s when it occurs) especially since it will not restart until the temperature comes way down.

Coolant was a little low but not bad, refilled it anyhow. Fan comes on and spins fine.

Idle sounds a little rough... kind of like it is struggling? The power doesn't seem completely there anymore either...bike isnt jumping as quickly when I give it throttle. Also the start up isn't always as immediate as it should be. I replaced the battery a month or so ago.

Anybody have any ideas? The labor rates here in Hawaii are extreme so I want to take it in as an absolute last resort. I'd at least like to know what I'm dealing with. :O

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
how many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
One of our members had the same issue on here. His bike was dying out in the middle of corners. I'll do my best to try to find it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here's the manual : well that didn't work but someone may post one if not pm me and i can e-mail it to you.

If you don't have one already it can and will help.

from reading the other thread you will have a place to start.

I'm banking on possible electronic issues especially if it happens when it's mostly hot. 220 BTW is not uncommon in a climate like HI. I used to live in Key West and if you sat in traffic for more than 15 seconds you were cooking off while sitting on the thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike has ~11,500 miles on it.

Thanks for the repost of the guys thread with the video... seems fairly similar, mine tends to do it out of nowhere though whereas his seemed to have a little warning that it's coming.

I've been suspecting fuel filter? Is that a common place to start?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Fuel filter can def hinder fuel delivery and jack you all up. If you rule out everything else then I'd clean the filter and run some seafoam. There is a how-to floating around here on cleaning it out.

But before getting there...

How long from a cold start to cut off? Warmed up to cut off?

What mods did the previous owner do? Knowing what was added can help too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually after about 20 mins or so of riding is when the problem occurs...More quickly if there is heavy stop and go traffic. I ran to the grocery store on it last night though, thing was running at 170 and died coming up the drive way.

Previous mod that I had major issue with was a X-tre power box timing retard eliminator that started glitching out on me... caused all sorts of power issues... would that have fried my ECU by any chance? I came across a post (http://zx6r.com/mechanical-technical/16939-05-zx6r-overheating-i-think.html) sounds a lot like my issue and he replaced the ECU and said problem solved. Anyhow, I tore the X-tre box out of there a couple months ago and it solved most of my problems except for the current issue.

But then again I've also heard the finger pointed at fuel filter/line issues and idle settings....

Also has the jumper mod on there, but as far as I can tell it was done correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts