Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt see a "Help" forums so I am posting this here with hopes someone can help with this odd experience....

Pretty consistantly when at speed, more noticeably above 7k rpm 5th or 6th gear if I pull in the clutch and coast, the bike will cut out, completely stall, usually not an issue cause if I let out the clutch, it starts right back up. This doesnt happen at slower speeds or lower gears either.... Have no idea what could cause it except maybe my idle is too low or the throttle cables need adjustment in the closed position. If those were the case, I would think the stalling should happen at any speed in any gear. My idle adjustment screw doesnt frequently loosen up on me and from other people I talk to, this is pretty common. Bike is completely stock except for a Hindle Ti slip on.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've never heard of such a problem. I have the same bike(04) and have never expierenced such a thing. Could possibly be an ECU issue. If you know a good dealer, talk to them, maybe they can offer you a better solution.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My TL did that after I installed aftermarket exhaust and before I re-mapped it. In the interim I solved it by running the idle a fair bit higher than spec. I ran it like that for a few weeks then re-mapped. No more issues. I suspect that the dieing was caused by an overly lean mixture on decel.

Assuming you've got your idle set properly, cables adjusted as they should be and TB's sync'd then its most likely a mapping issue, but might as well verify the other things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My TL did that after I installed aftermarket exhaust and before I re-mapped it. In the interim I solved it by running the idle a fair bit higher than spec. I ran it like that for a few weeks then re-mapped. No more issues. I suspect that the dieing was caused by an overly lean mixture on decel.

Assuming you've got your idle set properly, cables adjusted as they should be and TB's sync'd then its most likely a mapping issue, but might as well verify the other things.
Good suggestions, my old TLS did that a couple of times too but turned out to the the starter relay.

I will check those things you mentioned...Would a slip on cause that lean of a condition? Ididnt think slip ons changed the mixture very much.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It certainly could cause a lean condition, especially if it were marginally too lean with the factory setup. A slip on or even full system won't make a huge difference, but its not impossible for a small change to be just enough to cause issues.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Oh, I should have said, bolt-on cans were enough to cause the trouble on my TL, I bought a PCII shortly after the cans and re-mapped. Then a little while later got a full system and re-re-mapped for it:) I never tried the full system on stock mapping for any significant amount of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my friend had a problem like this on his 03 mustang mach one. when ever he was on the high way and put it in neutral the engine would die. it turned out to be the ram air(which we have on the bike) would stall the engine. the engine was gettin to much air and not enough fuel so it died...dont know if that has anything to do with your problem but it reminded me of that

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a question!
Why would you want to pull the clutch in at 7k in 5th or 6th gear and coast anyway?????????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a question!
Why would you want to pull the clutch in at 7k in 5th or 6th gear and coast anyway?????????
Downshifting from 60 mph coming up to a light....:O I dont always use engine braking...

Its not a normal habit, first time I noticed it happening was when I thought I heard a strange noise (turned out to be chain going bad) so I pulled in the clutch to kill engine noise and it cut out completely on me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Oh okay then! In that case i've done that too! 'Heard' something, pulled in clutch to kill engine noise and carried on again after realising it was only me giggling like a lunatic at my bikes induction growl ( it should be compulsory to have a K+N air filter on all Kwaka's!).
Can't say my bike has ever cut out out at speed though. Wonder if it's anything to do with differences between emissions, set-up etc between euro bikes and North American ones. Seems a few other bikes your side of the pond have done this too.....................

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
If I can remember correctly my bike has done it to me before, too. If you hold the clutch in long enough she just shuts off. From what I remember it shut off completely for me and I had to re-start it mid roll. It's only happened once cos I was buggering around but it has happened.

·
Registered
157 Posts
this has happened to me also...i took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong...i raised the idle and it seems to have fixed the problem..

·
Registered
86 Posts
just for hells sake, i went out and turned my idle down just a hair. i took it down the street and got up to speed and pulled the clutch. guess what, the bike died, lol. Started right back up and idled fine and didn't die again at low speeds. But it die as soon as i was cruising and pulled the clutch. turned the idle back up 1500 and it didn't happen again.

don't know if this helps you at all, but i figured i'd give it a shot for you =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts