Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order a set of stainless steel brake lines the other day for my 2012 zx6r. They should be here in the mail today. I want to ask other people who have done this, how long does it take to remove the stock brake lines and replace them with the stainless steel? I was just wondering because I was thinking about putting them on tonight when I get off work if I have time.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
replacing the lines is quick work... bleeding the brakes is the time consuming part.

·
Registered
512 Posts
took me maybe? 35 minutes from start to finish, and I replaced the front pads while I was at it. Extremely easy, especially if you have a vac pump. If not a little longer with the whole pump bleed process.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
As mentioned above, the replacement process really isn't that hard. Can certainly be done in a half hour. The bleeding part, especially with a brand new line, is a major pain in the ass.

Couple tips, wear gloves and IMMEDIATELY wipe up any brake fluid that spills onto your bike. Brake fluid is a skin irritant and corrodes plastic is left to sit. It will damage your fairings or really anything you let it sit on.

Buy motion pros one way valve bleeder. Very cheap off amazon and so easy to use.

My method of bleeding is to open the bleeder valve, squeeze once, close bleeder valve then squeeze 3 times and keep repeating. I do master cylinder first. Obviously watch your fluid reservoir to make sure the fluid doesn't drop below the hose line or else you start sucking in air. After I'm done, I usually zip tie the brake down and let it sit for 24 hours to allow the pressure to push any spare bubbles out of the system through the reservoir. Dunno if this actually works but it's what I've been taught.

This will also let you know if there's any leaks in the system. One time one of my banjos was not on tight enough and was leaking.

·
Registered
879 Posts
bleeding doesn't take that long, i think from start to finish (including bleeding) mine took 30 minutes. I also just installed SS lines for my front brakes. back is still stocker.

once you put SS on you're going to realize that it should've come stock. the difference in braking sensation is immediately noticeable.

Also reiterating Redandblack's comment about cleaning brake fluid up. it is corrosive to paint and especially to your brake pads. if you spill any of it, immediately clean it up. it is generally nasty stuff.

a little tip on brake fluid pouring, poke a tiny hole in the foil of the brake fluid bottle. pouring through the tiny hole is much easier and more precise than if you removed all the foil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts