Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around the site for answers but didn't find much. I put some Galpher front pads on a month or so ago. They squeak really bad. My buddy told me to wait it out and they should fix themselves but it's been 200+ miles and they're still annoying the hell out of me. I'm about to ditch them and just buy stock pads.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I know ebc hh hissed for over 200 miles till they broke in. He might be right. Surely someone will chime in on galfer pads.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My brakes squeek every once in a while and whenever I remove the front tire for the next couple hundred miles. The squeek should go away sooner or later.

·
Registered
433 Posts
take the pads off put a dab of brake grease on the back of the pads where the pistons make contact with them. Will quiet them right up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
New pads tend to squeak because old pads "groove" very fine lines on the disk. so new pads dont "align" with these lines and squeak. Sometimes the only way to get rid of the squeak is replace the rotor as well or use some break cleaner see if that helps.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Pads will also occasionally squeak if they get wet. Not something to stress over normally, should go away with a bit of time.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
I searched around the site for answers but didn't find much. I put some Galpher front pads on a month or so ago. They squeak really bad. My buddy told me to wait it out and they should fix themselves but it's been 200+ miles and they're still annoying the hell out of me. I'm about to ditch them and just buy stock pads.
The squealing happens because the pads vibrate in the caliper when they are pushed into the rotors. The chattering is so fast, you hear it as squeaking. All disc brakes do this. To reduce or eliminate the noise, pretty much every mfg includes anti rattle springs that clip over the edges of the pads and absorb the vibrations.

If you did not have simple metal springs (like leaf springs) in the calipers when you swapped out the pads, this is the cause of the noise.

As someone else said, putting brake grease on the piston pad BACK contact point does the same thing. The goop absorbs the vibrations.

One or the other should fix your noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts