Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a new 07 6R, got about 950 miles on it now. I just recently noticed something that is annoying me. When I am going at about 20 and below, I notice a little squeak/squeel that appears to be coming from the front wheel. It doesnt start until after Ive been riding for a few minutes, so it must be from something getting warm? I don't notice it when I'm accelerating or going faster than 20, it's just when I'm coming to a stop that I start to notice it, brakes or not.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like the pads on the front discs. If you have a stand to get the front of the bike of the floor do this then spin front wheel. It should spin freely with small amount of friction from the pads (which on an 07 would be the floating type!) If wheel moves ok remove pads a coat with a small, but healthy amount of copper grease (on the back of the pads not friction side), this should stop an squeeellllsss from brake pads. If squel still present…mmm i'l have a think. Anyone any other ideas???

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion ginger.ninja! I appriciate it alot. I'll try that if I can find a way to get my front wheel off the ground steadily enough to test it. I don't have a stand yet. I think my buddy Joe does tho. One of the guys I work with said he thinks it could be somethin to do with the shocks making noise?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its a process of elimination, if you have any mates with bike knowledge and equipment they are worth their weight in gold. Anyone here have any other ideas on the noise???

·
Registered
109 Posts
In addition to other suggestions, it could be some dirt and debris in the pad... Get some break cleaner and clean the brakes and see if that clears things up. I know here in AZ, I pick up crappy little debris on my commute, and have to clean mine about 1x a month.

Hey guys! I have a new 07 6R, got about 950 miles on it now. I just recently noticed something that is annoying me. When I am going at about 20 and below, I notice a little squeak/squeel that appears to be coming from the front wheel. It doesnt start until after Ive been riding for a few minutes, so it must be from something getting warm? I don't notice it when I'm accelerating or going faster than 20, it's just when I'm coming to a stop that I start to notice it, brakes or not.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does it make noise when you apply the brakes or when you release them? Could also be the axle seals. Try taking a toothpick and pitting some (Just a tiny bit) grease between the seal & spacer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 05, I put it on the stands and took off the front wheel, I used a little lube on the cush drives, cleaned the brakes, greased the axle and cleaned everything on it in the front, I have put about 1000 miles on it in the past week and a half (a couple of 300+ mile curvy trips) and it has held so far. and I just have to say one thing, the new Pilot Power 2ct's are a bad ass tire. on the trip there are a lot of 25 or 35 mph curves that I end up coming out of at about 105 mph and they just dive insanely sweet, and stick just awesome.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Need more info... Is it truly a squeak/squeal or is it just the pads dragging the rotors? Are the pad clips at the rear of the caliper installed properly? Can you hear it when you just roll the bike w/the engine off? Or only while riding? You mention forks...does it squeak when you simply compress them while the bike is sitting there? If not, I doubt the fork internals are the problem.

Also, it sounds like you haven't had the front wheel off yet. Sometimes factory torque values are waaaaaay over what's necessary...front axles and rear axle nuts being a prime example. It can play havoc w/your wheel bearings and seriously shorten their life span causing all manner of squeaks and squeals. The service manual axle/bolt torque specs for the 06 6R call for some ungodly ft/lb amount like 75ft/lb or 90ft/lb. I never go over 40ft/lb. That's what pinch bolts and safety wire are for...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts