Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a couple of questions to ask about sprokets for my bike. I don't know a whole lot about them but what is a good sproket to get for my '07 zx6r? I want to gain a lil acceleration but do you lose a lot after 3rd gear or so? What about as far as my odometer and speedometer...do those need to be recalibrated? Help???:O

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
All changing sprockets does is change the ratio of rpm/mph for a given gear selection. Think of riding an MTB, changing sprockts is just like shifting gears on the front - you still have the 7, 8 or 9 in the back, but they are all shifted up or down depending on what you do with the front shifter:)

Going to a bigger rear/smaller front means the ratio of engine rpm to mph increases which gives the engine more leverage over the rear wheel for a given mph, but also means you'll not go as fast for a given rpm and gear selection.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yeah, what he said :dowhat but I have always used RK lightweight steel sprockets, they last A LOT longer than aluminum, and are way lighter than factory.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but since were on the topic, who knows the stock gearing for the 06 zx6r?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok, I found that the stock gearing was 15/40? That was from a phone call to the stealership..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Now I've heard 15/40, 15/43, 16/46, and 16/43...

All from threads on this board, anyone have a definite answer on what the ratio is???

·
Registered
590 Posts
Now I've heard 15/40, 15/43, 16/46, and 16/43...

All from threads on this board, anyone have a definite answer on what the ratio is???
Only way to know for sure is to call dealer or even more reliable you can just count them yourself.

·
Registered
553 Posts
stock for an 06 is 15/43. My bike now has 14/45. It accels a lot better but I did lose some top end. I set it up for the track and don't really need all the top end on the short circuits that I run. However, at 25 mph the speedo is dead on, at indicated 85 mph I'm only doing 75, at the rev limiter in 6th gear the bike bounces between an indicated 185-187 mph. I have no clue how off it is at redline. I'm guessing at least 20 mph.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
stock for an 06 is 15/43. My bike now has 14/45. It accels a lot better but I did lose some top end. I set it up for the track and don't really need all the top end on the short circuits that I run. However, at 25 mph the speedo is dead on, at indicated 85 mph I'm only doing 75, at the rev limiter in 6th gear the bike bounces between an indicated 185-187 mph. I have no clue how off it is at redline. I'm guessing at least 20 mph.
what rpm's are u runnin at 75 or 80 mph with the 14-45 gearing in 6th gear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts