Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to apologize now. I searched and read until my eyes bled, and didn't find what I needed.

I am looking into sprocket(s) for my 07 6r. I want better acceleration and 186 top speed isn't a big deal for me. I have been contemplating a -1 in front. Will that do enough for acceleration, or should I go for a -1/+2?

Next question, Do I need a new chain? I would think so but I hear a lot of people talking about sprockets without talking about chains.

I am looking for information and opinions.

Thanks,
-Hayes

·
Registered
450 Posts
imo -1 for the street is enough to wake up the bike. Going lower by adding teeth on the rear is cool too, but you'll be rowing thru the gears a lot more.

As for the chain, as long as you don't change the sprocket size you don't necessarily need to replace the chain.

What's stock on an 07 anyway...520? 525?:O

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
hey man u should be able to run the -1 +2 mod on the stock chain, also the -1 up front is a great mod and going +2 in the back is going to let the bike accelerate alittle harder, i have the -1 +2 mod on my 04 and i love it and i am also runnin the stock chain

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
hey man u should be able to run the -1 +2 mod on the stock chain, also the -1 up front is a great mod and going +2 in the back is going to let the bike accelerate alittle harder, i have the -1 +2 mod on my 04 and i love it and i am also runnin the stock chain
also i am runnin a gold series did erv chain with afam sprockets

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those of you who have done the sprockets, what changes did you make and what kind of difference did you notice?

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you go -1 in the front or +2-3 in the back you will feel the bike rev up faster and it will feel like it has a bit more power, however you will just be playing in the power band more and tack'n higher on the freeway.. But who cares.... so it adds 2k when your at 80.. you still got like 6k to go toget to the top, you also get to hear your pipe more!

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's no big deal.. I had like 10 sprockets for my race bike and I used to swap them out in between practice sessions. Sprockets are cheap buy a few and play around.. If you go on some long ride down I-5 or 99 then toss on the small guy on the back and get like 60MPg. If you go to the hills put a trash can lid (big ass sprocket) on the back and fight keeping the front tire on the ground...lol

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If you go -1 in the front or +2-3 in the back you will feel the bike rev up faster and it will feel like it has a bit more power, however you will just be playing in the power band more and tack'n higher on the freeway.. But who cares.... so it adds 2k when your at 80.. you still got like 6k to go toget to the top, you also get to hear your pipe more!
hey man i have the -1 +2 setup npw on my 04 zx 6r, if i go to a 45 and keep the 14t on the front what rpm's do u think i will be runnin, i no i will have to have a longer chain but wonderin if u had any experience with that gearing

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had 3 chains and a link popper.. you just need one long chain and a link popper. Just be careful if you are using an O or X ring chain adding and removing links, I don't use an O or an X ring chain because I don't ride on the street much and I lube my chain every time I ride.

hey man I have the -1 +2 setup npw on my 04 zx 6r, if i go to a 45 and keep the 14t on the front what rpm's do u think i will be runnin, i no i will have to have a longer chain but wonderin if u had any experience with that gearing
It depends on how fast your going??? to what rpm your clocking,, My race bike had no speedo so I set the gearing for the track I was at. the main goal was to find the top speed and back the gearing down to a point where your hitting 6th on the fastest part of the track and so you can be in the correct gear is some corners.. nothing worse than diving into a corner and running out of gear mid corner because now your on the small side of the tire.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
hey faster i don't have a spedo healer myself, thinkin about going -1 +5, do u have any input on that gearing, do u think it will be to much for the street

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm -1 +2 with vortex sprockets and RK chain. I love it but it threw the speedo off by at least 10 mph. If you do this you'll be running higher rpm's and your speedo is going to say your going faster than you actually are and your bike is going to say that it has more miles on it than it actually does. You should look into a speed healer for it just to keep the guages accurate.

·
Registered
956 Posts
-1 +5 on the street may be a bit much, 1st gear would be a joke! But fun.. then it would get annoying shifting so much..

For the street I use +3 in the back. or -1 in the front if your want to go a bit lower gear.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
-1 +5 on the street may be a bit much, 1st gear would be a joke! But fun.. then it would get annoying shifting so much..

For the street I use +3 in the back. or -1 in the front if your want to go a bit lower gear.
i no i am runnin 75mph at 6500 rpm but i don't have a spedo healer, everybody i have talked to said 14-45 is a strip gearing and 14-42 is a street & strip gearing, i ride my bike on the street and hit the dragstrip up on the weekends, is it true that if u go -1 on the front it's just like addin +3 on the rear for our bikes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts