Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

kinna new to this bike business..

whats a sprocket? where is it?
changing it does what exactly?

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
it's that big round thing with the sharp pointy teeth that ur chain wraps around.

changing it changes ur final gearing...so...for x many turns of the transmission, it (and the rear wheel) turns y times...so changing it makes ur rpm's rise more quickly, but decreases ur top speed in each gear (and overall, assuming ur bike can hit redline in 6th gear, i wouldn't know)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sprockets, as long as you go with the standard sizing (smaller in front, bigger in back) help your acceleration by putting your bike into it's powerband quicker.

They also lower your top speed. Do you know about cars? Changing the final drive ratio of a car does the same thing.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
What gains would you see by changing only the front sprocket? How much does this cost too be done at a shop?
u will see a 1000 more rpm at any given speed if u drop -1 on the front, also most front sprockets cost 20.00 new and most shope will charge either 1/2 to 1 hr labor, get ur self a impact wrench and do it your self in like 30min or so, and save that money

·
Registered
67 Posts
u will see a 1000 more rpm at any given speed if u drop -1 on the front, also most front sprockets cost 20.00 new and most shope will charge either 1/2 to 1 hr labor, get ur self a impact wrench and do it your self in like 30min or so, and save that money
So...Its cool too drop 1 up front and leavr the rear stock?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
u will see a 1000 more rpm at any given speed if u drop -1 on the front, also most front sprockets cost 20.00 new and most shop will charge either 1/2 to 1 hr labor, get ur self a impact wrench and do it your self in like 30min or so, and save that money
The 1k rpm thing is not true. The change in rpm won't be a constant, but rather a variable factor of bike speed. The coefficient of the variable will be the percent difference for change of gearing (i.e. if you go from 17 to 16, it would be (17-16/17), otherwise spot on:thumbup

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The 1k rpm thing is not true. The change in rpm won't be a constant, but rather a variable factor of bike speed. The coefficient of the variable will be the percent difference for change of gearing (i.e. if you go from 17 to 16, it would be (17-16/17), otherwise spot on:thumbup
y won't it then, if u are at lets say 75mph now at what eva rpm with 15-40 gearing that your bike came stock with, if u got to a 14t on the front u will be a 1 more rpm than u are at now, and it will be constant

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
What gains would you see by changing only the front sprocket? How much does this cost too be done at a shop?
i'd be sure to get a speedo healer or whatever it's called to keep all your gauges reading correctly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts