Votes: 54 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
yes... if it's an '11 it's already a 520.

But some of the kits call it a "conversion kit" as it'll swap out the stock 525 on some older bikes.
That's what I was referring to... didn't look to see what year the OPs bike was... more of a general comment and pertains to those with older bikes running the bigger chains.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have heard -1 in the front puts more stress on the chain do to the smaller diameter. I've heard this straight from a racer face to face because I asked him.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have heard -1 in the front puts more stress on the chain do to the smaller diameter. I've heard this straight from a racer face to face because I asked him.
Are you saying with no change in the back? Or a -1+2?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
ok, I am thinking about the -1/+2 gearing myself. Thanks
Get it!

correct. It doesnt matter about the back. I was just refering to the front being a -1. If he's wrong or right, I'm not sure, but he seems to know his shit.
I'm going to go with wrong, I havent had any problems with mine on the track

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, decreasing the number of teeth on the front AND/OR increasing the number of teeth on the rear will increase wear on the chain and sprockets. Basically the number of contacts the sprocket(s) are making with the chain in any given distance (say a mile) is greater.

Now the real question is, how much of an impact will that be for you? Racers are harder on chains, sprockets, and pretty much everything else, although they do change their oil MUCH more often :tounge2:. So we will replace a chain on average every 1-3 years. But that isn't to say the chain is worn out (although it could be if you wait too long), more of a safety precaution. A chain failure coming into turn one (or almost anywhere for that matter - on the track) would be catastrophic.

Is it a big deal... personally I don't think it is for the street - plus the increased acceleration makes it SO MUCH FUN... sometimes you gotta pay to play, but don't get too out of sorts with it... it's not that big of deal. Just keep an eye on your maintenance which you're probably doing anyway.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
df

b
Love those wheelies, uh? :)

my favorite < still got alot of learning to do but i was happy to ride a 97mph wheelie last summer , still need to learn balance point and stand ups this summer hopefully :)

LIER... Sike, I'm just kidding. :laugh You got me by 5 mph
So you're probably only topping out at about 159 due to the speedo error. :)

thanx groove

Going -1/+2 will allow you to use the same chain if you revert back to stock as it's about the same length. Food for thought. :)

You are correct sir!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Im still stock other than my FMF stubby at the moment and hit 176 just before the redline but was thinking of dropping one on the front. Cheap way of getting more acceleration, but how much will that fiddle with my speedo reading and real top speed and can you get it reading properly again for fairly cheap?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
the stock speedo is off. sorry even if it said 175 you were prolly doing 160ish

when im doing 75 according to gps, my speedo reads 90 with a -1, +2 setup

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My old 99 zx done 166 and to be honest this feels faster, plus my friends r6 does 168 and I LEAVE him. Are you that sure its off?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My old 99 zx done 166 and to be honest this feels faster, plus my friends r6 does 168 and I LEAVE him. Are you that sure its off?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Thanks
Im not sure how in the world you got a 99 zx6 to run 166, but your not getting an accurate reading with the speedo on any bike unless someone calibrated it with a speedohealer via gps.

If you have a phone or nav system that is the more accurate reading

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The 99 had a k&n, was dyno jetted and had a decent exhaust. The 166 was slightly downhill but not completely redlining the life out of it and it would do 160 on the flat if I got as tucked as I could. Maybe the fact I weigh f!*k all helped.... I see what you're saying about gps giving your true speed but you could say that to anyone who isn't using gps and says their top speed is whatever. I'm not saying my bike definately does 176 but you can't say all speedos are wrong and you NEED gps

Thanks

21 - 40 of 348 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.