Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am a German learner hoping to just talk with anybody who happens to know German on here. I'd like to become more proficient, hopefully to the point that I can become bilingual and demand bilingual salary (even though it's German and completely useless in Texas haha). Anybody up for it?

Ich bin ein Deutschstudent, und ich möchte jemand hier wer kennen Deutsch sprechen mit. Ich werde mehr kompetent anfangen, hoffentlich bis zu dem Punkt, dass ich zweisprachig anfangen kann und zweisprachig Gehalt heischst kann. Jemand wollen zu?

Also, please offer corrections, if you're willing!

Reactions: iLean2much

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm a German living in Canada

Ich bin Deutsche und lebe in Kanada.

do you know the difference between deutsche and deutscher? one implements female, the one ending with the R lets you know that it would be a male.
another example would be Freundin and Freund. In german we distinguish between what gender of friend so it doesn't sound like i'm lesbian if i have to talk about my girl friend.

Funniest thing i got asked was that if it's true that the german translation for raspberry is an actual swear word in german. totally NOT...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, man könnte "Ich bin mit meinem Freunder" sagen? Oder würden man nur "Ich bin mit meinem Freund" sagen?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Können Sie Beispiel geben?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mein(en?) Deutsch ist auch sehr schlecht, aber, ich möchte mehr lernen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
took 4 years of german in high school, and I only understood your title :D

Reactions: 863JOE

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took 4 years of german in high school, and I only understood your title :D
I took 3 in high school, but my teacher was awful. I've learned so much more in 2 semesters in college.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Whenever you want to say/claim something to be yours you are safest using Mein. Rarely could you use Meinen... as in Meinen Bierkasten - My beer case

Mein Auto
Mein Haus

Other forms of meinen is more in the sense of asking a rhetorical question or asking if you understood the right thing.

Meinen=Mean or meaning

Wie hast du das gemeint?
How did you mean that?

Meintest du dass wir heute Einkaufen gehen?
Are you saying we are going to buy groceries today?

Meinst du wir sollen dieses Auto kaufen?
Do you think we should buy this car?

Ich meine I mean
Wir meinen We mean

·
Registered
768 Posts
I actually work as a professional translator/interpreter. One of my languages that I'm fluent in is German. I specialize in the translation of clinical research protocols, surgical procedures...etc. Before moving to Texas I was actually full-time staff at the UN/NATO as a translator/interpreter in NYC for five years. Not for German (as it's not one of the official languages) but for Russian and Arabic.

I lived in Düsseldorf for 3 years before going to college in the US and getting my degree in pharmaceutical translation/interpretation and passing all of my FDA/EMA certifications (they are EXTREMELY difficult to obtain).

If you REALLY want to learn the language there is a TREMENDOUS amount of money that can be made by knowing/going into a career in languages.

The key to learning another language to absolute fluency is dedication. You must dedicate almost every waking moment to learning the language, read the language CONSTANTLY (even if you don't understand it at first), put pen and paper down and start doing self-study sessions on grammar, watch any and ALL media in your language of choice.

The last thing I'll tell you is don't be discouraged by other people. Namely, when I was in middle school and spent every waking second studying languages I CONSTANTLY heard adults/other people telling me:

"The entire world knows English!!!! There's no place for translators anymore, there's google!"....ad nauseum. Those people are complete idiots.

You'll be laughing at them when they're making $30K and you're making $150K STARTING pay.

Good luck, it's an INCREDIBLY difficult path but if it can be fruitful should you succeed.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
2 years living in Germany and 5 years working for a German company and I can't speak more than enough to ask how to get to the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Key is... you HAVE to live in the country and be around the language 24/7. Don't make english speaking friends, germans only.

When I came to Canada, I had 6yrs of pretty much gramma and vocabulary from grade 5-10 and then 3yrs in high school of writing texts like we did in german class.

In grade 11 high school I almost drowned in english exams and invested into 2wks of english institute vacation to get me up to par in writing. For 2yrs I also invested in a bi weekly (weekly if close to exams) professional tutor who got me in the habit of writing english stories. I ended up writing down the whole plot of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. With that movie I also learned better english. First switching the language to english with english subtitles until I knew the lines by heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l620awAFHaA

I also started reading english books on my 45min train ride to the high school. main reason was that the 4 twilight books only got translated in German up to the 2nd book plus the english version was lighter and 10€ cheaper which was for me buy 2 for 1.

The absolute hardest part was and still is Idioms!

One night my roommate and I were about to get picked up by his buddy to go out for dinner. Asking him what seat he wants in the car. Front or back row. He replied with "Shotgun". I thought he was talking off topic.
While getting our coats on I asked again and only got to hear Shotgun!

Walking up to the car I apologised for asking again and he said laughing Shotgun.

In the car I finally asked him why he kept saying shotgun. He didn't realize I didn't know that word as an expression for wanting to take the front passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
12,514 Posts
I lived near Frankfurt for a while (niedernhausen) and my lady teaches German. After 5.5 years of listening and some time living there I am relatively proficient. I can tell you I learned far more living there then I ever did in formal classes.
Ey3

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Ich kann nur ein bischen Deutsch sprechen und schreiben. Ich habe Deutschland ein paar monaten besucht. :O

I took a couple years in college and spent some time in Germany, but haven't used it in years. I could read most of this thread, but definitely not proficient enough to write much of my own anymore. Absolutely subscribing tho and will contribute when I feel capable :bigthumb:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Two things:

1) Whenever I see this phrase, I think of Step Brothers when Will F says to his brother, "Hey Derek, sprechen sie dick?!" :laugh

2) Whenever I hear anything in German, I always think of this stupid song that my brother listened to when he was learning the German numbers.

I've always loved learning new languages and can pick them up pretty easily. After 6 years of Spanish, I could talk quite fluently then. Of course not now since I don't use it anymore. Also, I was in China for 2 weeks and was able to pick up on Mandarin and have conversations with people after a few days. I've thought about going into some kind of language career, but got my degree in accounting and that's just fine for me.

Anyways, /threadjack and carry on.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yesterday my fiancee's family got together for a little BBQ at his brother's since his wife is a week away from popping their first child.

With my fiancee's kids and the men in the jacuzzi they played a game where Apple Pie was the code word.

So i just named things I saw around me in german. Baum, Ziegel, Holz, Wasser, Tür and then said Apfelkuchen... somehow without being able to teach my fiancee much german (slow learner regarding languages) he was the only one reacting to the german style code word.

I wanna try to keep this thread bilingual. My german is actually quite rusty after almost 5yrs of living here. So I won't always be a 100% correct in the use of words.

Die Familie von meinem Verlobten hat sich gestern zu einem kleinen Grillfest bei seinem Bruder zusammen getroffen, weil dessen Frau eine Woche entfernt ist vom Gebären dessen ersten Kindes.

Mit den Herren und den Kindern von meinem Verlobten im Jacuzzi, haben alle ein Spiel gespielt wo das Stichwort "Apfelkuchen" war.

Also habe ich einfach nur Dinge auf Deutsch benannt die ich um mich herum gesehen habe. Baum, Ziegel, Holz, Wasser, Tür und sagte dann Apfelkuchen... irgendwie, ohne meinem Verlobten viel Deutsch beigebracht zu haben (ein wenig langsam im Lernen von Sprachen), war er der Einzige der auf mein deutsches Stichwort reagiert hat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts