Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of nowhere the car next to me merged into the next lane hitting me on the right side. Managed to keep control of the bike and keep her upright, but my foot and knee obsorbed most of the impact as well as my bar end mirror, bar end, frame slider and swing arm. No damage to my plastics at all. I was going about 30 mph while traffic was cruising at 20 mph. Girl didnt pull over either I had to chase her down while my knee and foot were throbbing. Finally got her to pull over after chasing her for about a mile in a half. She admitted to not seeing me. Just got finished getting checked out and I got a bruised knee and fractured toes (my fault for deciding to wear nike shoes to ride today instead of my boots). Called the insurance company and explained everything to them right after the accident, then I get a call from the girls father at 7pm( this happened at 220pm).

What he said: my daughter told me she got hit by a motrocycle today and I wanted to make sure you were fine. Girl totally lies to her father about the whole accident. Then tells me if I was admitting to being at fault. I then tell him no I am not and I will be letting the insurance take care of this. He then says well you hit the rear quarter panel of the car and I tell him well your daughter shouldve been looking before merging into the next lane to check if she was clear to do so. Guy tries telling me that I hit in the back so I should be at fault. Then I tell him that in california it unlawful to impede the right of way to a motorcycle that is lane splitting and that in california it is legal for me to do so and that he shouldnt be contacting me and to let the insurance company deal with everything.

What do you guys think me in the wrong or the girl? I think its total bull that I should admit to being at fault. I told some of my friends and they think he was trying to record me and have me admit I was at fault.

I was wearing my helmet gloves, jacket and jeans with my nike shoes when this occured.

I will upload pics of what happened. its not much but still want my bike looking how it was before the accident.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Your 100% stick to your guns, did she use her turn signals ? If she didnt then its even more her fault, i almost got creamed by an suv on the 101 by some teenage rich blonde ditzy bitches both driver and passenger looking at there phones, didnt even see me till my middle finger was in there passanger window lol

·
Registered
999 Posts
Glad to hear your okay most importantly!! I don't know about CA law as far as the whole "rear ending" or hitting the back of someone's vehicle is, but since you were legally lane splitting I say to stick to your guns as well. You did nothing wrong at all.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Out of nowhere the car next to me merged into the next lane hitting me on the right side. Managed to keep control of the bike and keep her upright, but my foot and knee obsorbed most of the impact as well as my bar end mirror, bar end, frame slider and swing arm. No damage to my plastics at all. I was going about 30 mph while traffic was cruising at 20 mph. Girl didnt pull over either I had to chase her down while my knee and foot were throbbing. Finally got her to pull over after chasing her for about a mile in a half. She admitted to not seeing me. Just got finished getting checked out and I got a bruised knee and fractured toes (my fault for deciding to wear nike shoes to ride today instead of my boots). Called the insurance company and explained everything to them right after the accident, then I get a call from the girls father at 7pm( this happened at 220pm).

What he said: my daughter told me she got hit by a motrocycle today and I wanted to make sure you were fine. Girl totally lies to her father about the whole accident. Then tells me if I was admitting to being at fault. I then tell him no I am not and I will be letting the insurance take care of this. He then says well you hit the rear quarter panel of the car and I tell him well your daughter shouldve been looking before merging into the next lane to check if she was clear to do so. Guy tries telling me that I hit in the back so I should be at fault. Then I tell him that in california it unlawful to impede the right of way to a motorcycle that is lane splitting and that in california it is legal for me to do so and that he shouldnt be contacting me and to let the insurance company deal with everything.

What do you guys think me in the wrong or the girl? I think its total bull that I should admit to being at fault. I told some of my friends and they think he was trying to record me and have me admit I was at fault.

I will upload pics of what happened. its not much but still want my bike looking how it was before the accident.
Fuck the father. That guy sounds like an ignorant douche. You are right. She was wrong. Let the insurance handle it and do not talk to that stupid father ever.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Your 100% stick to your guns, did she use her turn signals ? If she didnt then its even more her fault, i almost got creamed by an suv on the 101 by some teenage rich blonde ditzy bitches both driver and passenger looking at there phones, didnt even see me till my middle finger was in there passanger window lol

Me, I would have been on my footpegs mushroom stamping that glass...Slap...slap...slap...Helllo....you see me NOW? Crazy. :laugh

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yeah let insurance talk to him but i will tell you this I got pulled over by a bike cop when i was splitting lanes and he said if an incident occurs I would be at fault for splitting lanes not 100 percent sure but that is what he told me and he was a cool cat about it so not sure

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah let insurance talk to him but i will tell you this I got pulled over by a bike cop when i was splitting lanes and he said if an incident occurs I would be at fault for splitting lanes not 100 percent sure but that is what he told me and he was a cool cat about it so not sure
COPS JUST JELLY HIS FAT ASS BIKE IS NO GOOD AT SPLITTING LANES:nana:

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Seems he does not know the law. Spliting lanes is legal in CA. That would not put you at fault in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She did put her signal on but by the time she had done that I was all ready by her rear tail light so I had no time to brake and I couldnt swerve out of the way either because there was a big suv next to me at the time.

I am sticking to my story, I took pictures of everything the girl didnt even take any pictures. Just got my info and left. I even called chp but they said were backed up and to just exchange info.

So this accident would fall under the ca cvc22400, since she was impeding me while splitting lanes.

·
Registered
12,985 Posts
I know the law states lane splitting is legal if it is safe to do so. Technically it was safe until the girl merged into u...but then that is outta ur control. Im not sure how the insurance companies will look at that. But yes... stick to ur story. And let them know 100% she didnt use her blinker.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uploaded pics of course minimal damage. My knee and foot took most of the impact.

IDC about the damage its scratches that can be replaced, but drivers like this need to learn a lesson and look out for us motorcyclist. If I wouldnt have been able to control my bike after the hit I wouldve gone down for sure and the damage to my bike wouldve been worse and I probably would either be in a body bag or in the hospital because I wouldve slid into the other lane that had cars moving.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the law states lane splitting is legal if it is safe to do so. Technically it was safe until the girl merged into u...but then that is outta ur control. Im not sure how the insurance companies will look at that. But yes... stick to ur story. And let them know 100% she didnt use her blinker.
Thats the thing she did use it but I was all ready right next to her. Your supposed to give at least 3-5 sec after you put your blinker on before you merge lanes and even then your supposed to look again before doing so.

She said she looked and didnt see me, No shit I was in your blind spot. Its called looking over your shoulder.

Did notice my steering is feeling a bit weird after the hit so I am going to get it checked out and also let my insurance adjuster know when he calls tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Just saying what he told me and no he was fucking slick with it he could've tought me a thing or to full gear bags and all he split some gnarly shit to light me up my hat was off to himand he was cool as shit about it so don't know what to say just sharing info

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Uploaded pics of course minimal damage. My knee and foot took most of the impact.

IDC about the damage its scratches that can be replaced, but drivers like this need to learn a lesson and look out for us motorcyclist. If I wouldnt have been able to control my bike after the hit I wouldve gone down for sure and the damage to my bike wouldve been worse and I probably would either be in a body bag or in the hospital because I wouldve slid into the other lane that had cars moving.
You need to come out here and ride with us. :) You are very close to GMR or Ortega.......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to come out here and ride with us. :) You are very close to GMR or Ortega.......

I know i am just moved from anaheim to riverside since everything is cheaper out there.

Need to get new tires before I go hit up those roads. Been to ortega kinda sketchy up there but I like it. LMK when your going to be heading up there. I want to hit up ortega. Never been there.

I will let the insurance adjuster know tomorrow when he calls that she didnt use her blinker then.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't think she was impeding you. impeding would suggest that she was purposely obstructing your path. Kinda like the way I hear jealous douche bags in other states purposely blocking a motorcycles path because we are somehow"cheating" or cutting and not wanting to wait like everyone else.

I lane split everyday, and this seems like a simple case of a motorist not doing proper head check before switching lanes. If you were safely lane splitting (meaning you weren't traveling at an unsafe speed or zig zagging through cars), then in this situation she would be at fault.

A few things to keep in mind while lane splitting:

1. If there's a gap big enough for a car to fit, always assume that a car will try to switch lanes into it.

2. Never assume a driver sees you or that they'll use blinkers or do a head check before switching lanes.

3. Try to not ever cruise or be next to any cars for more than a second. Meaning pass them quickly and move on, that way you'll never be in any of their blind spots.

4. Strategically time your passes. What this means is that we can sometimes predict when a driver wants to switch lanes or get into your lane. Give these drivers time and wait a short while before you pass, or pass them when you know its impossible for them to switch lanes due to not enough space because of a car next to them... also look ahead.

5. And then there's the obvious - Don't travel at an unsafe speed.. this gives drivers enough time to notice you in case they want to switch lanes... if they notice you early enough, many drivers will actually move over and give you space.

That's all I have for now. and BTW, just stick to your story... based on what you said, you don't appear to be at fault.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts