Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used a gps, beside a car, and phone. I was completely at a loss as to why everybody was passing me when I was doing the speed limit so I got curios and checked.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've used a gps, beside a car, and phone. I was completely at a loss as to why everybody was passing me when I was doing the speed limit so I got curios and checked.
provided the quality of the GPS was good, that would be the most valid analysis. Car is useless because they have their own speedo errors (generally less than motorcycles it seems) and phone is not always accurate either depending on several factors.

If you have a good GPS, then you'll know the exact speed and compensate. No need to put more time and money into retrofitting a speedo healer properly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased my 2015 zx6r about a month ago brand new and at 35mph my speedometer reads 39mph, at 60mph my speedometer reads 65mph, and at 80mph it reads 86mph.
This doesn't make sense to me. I would assume the speed variance would increase as you go faster and faster. The speed should be off by a set % right? But in this case, the % seems to vary based on speed. A higher percentage at lower speeds and and a lower % at higher speeds. This can't be right!

(39-35)/(35*100) = 11.42%
(65-60)/(60*100) = 8.33%
(86-80)/(80*100) = 7.5%

·
Registered
476 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. I would assume the speed variance would increase as you go faster and faster. The speed should be off by a set % right? But in this case, the % seems to vary based on speed. A higher percentage at lower speeds and and a lower % at higher speeds. This can't be right!

(39-35)/(35*100) = 11.42%
(65-60)/(60*100) = 8.33%
(86-80)/(80*100) = 7.5%
something fishy about that data, agreed!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Guys, this really isn't up for discussion. Motorcycle speedo's are off.. This is a fact that has been discussed all over the internet. This isn't exactly new information.

To answer how I "think" my speedo is off, it's because I used a GPS myself, whether it be from one app, another app, Glympse, an actual $450 GPS module, information from other riders, companies, etc... my speedo is off on my V-Star 1300 also. All bikes have a tolerance built into them, because if they are over just .1mph, they are no longer street legal.

And sorry, buy I don't want to have to carry a secondary GPS on my bike for numerous reasons ranging from it can get stolen to the fact I don't need to look at a 3rd object while riding. It's another distraction.

?Is your motorcycle speedo accurate? - Motorbike Writer

speedometer vs gps accuracy - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=

KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

HealTech Electronics Ltd. ? Smart Tech for your Ride ? SpeedoHealer v4

Factory Speedo Error - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

I can go on and on and on with posting more addresses, buy I hope you got the point.

GPS on phones are more accurate than you think. If you think your speedo is more accurate than a phone's GPS, then how do you explain that 4 different phones I've had, two stand-alone GPS modules and 2 speeding tickets were one number, but my speedo was always lower than what those devices said?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes, it was revived, but it got stirred up quickly with inaccurate information

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Texas636. It seems like you know a lot about this topic. Just read through this thread.
I have a 2014 zx6r with a speedo error of about 5%. Just to make sure I get this right, if I buy a vortex sprocket change kit for -1/+2, my speedo will stay at 5% off because 2013+ zx6r read speed from wheels not the sprocket?

I want to buy a sprocket kit but I wasn't sure if I needed a speedohealer. Thanks bro

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Hey Texas636. It seems like you know a lot about this topic. Just read through this thread.
I have a 2014 zx6r with a speedo error of about 5%. Just to make sure I get this right, if I buy a vortex sprocket change kit for -1/+2, my speedo will stay at 5% off because 2013+ zx6r read speed from wheels not the sprocket?

I want to buy a sprocket kit but I wasn't sure if I needed a speedohealer. Thanks bro

He seems to know everything about everything :rolleyes:

Your speedo will always read the same no matter what gearing you run. Gearing doesn't change wheel speed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts