Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just seeing as Brooni111 bumped this..

I actually fell out with the bike because of this issue, stuck it on the trickle charger and left it deep in the back of the garage! It wouldnt matter if it was 1 ride or 5 mins the clocks would just cut out with no warning, Checked everything, did all the pin power tests and nothing would show up! Checked the voltage output at diffrent rev's to see if the rectifire was toast but it was all good!

I ended up buying a second set of clocks (2nd hand from ebay) and getting the milage adjusted to match the bike. Fitted them and iv done more miles in the last 3 months than i did in the last 2 years because of this issue!

It was 100% for me a clock issue, what had failed im not so sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just seeing as Brooni111 bumped this..

I actually fell out with the bike because of this issue, stuck it on the trickle charger and left it deep in the back of the garage! It wouldnt matter if it was 1 ride or 5 mins the clocks would just cut out with no warning, Checked everything, did all the pin power tests and nothing would show up! Checked the voltage output at diffrent rev's to see if the rectifire was toast but it was all good!

I ended up buying a second set of clocks (2nd hand from ebay) and getting the milage adjusted to match the bike. Fitted them and iv done more miles in the last 3 months than i did in the last 2 years because of this issue!

It was 100% for me a clock issue, what had failed im not so sure.
hi mate,

same issue as most on this thread...

I think it seems the clocks are failing... I’m going to replace my clocks but my question to you is, how do you amend the mileage to reflect what your bike was on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to give my input on this issue. I have a 2007 P7F, a week ago started the bike after 3 days of continuous downpour (bike is kept outside under stormex cover) and the Speedo would light up but wouldn't display any information, battery wouldn't have enough power to start the bike either but the engine is turning.

Bump started the bike and drove it for around 30km but nothing changed. Stopped for a coffee break for about 30 minutes, switched the ignition on and presto, Speedo displays all the information as it should.

I don't know if that is due to weak battery or the Speedo is in it's last leg.

I'm looking however to upgrade the Speedo to one from a newer year zx6r but I couldn't find any information which Speedo will work on P7F and what is involved to do this mod.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 2007 speedo is electrically and physically compatible with a speedo from ZX6R model years 2007 to 2012.
I'm not sure if some model years have a slightly different maximum engine RPM, but that would be the only difference on the speedo dial and wouldn't actually affect the bike running.
If anyone in the UK has this fault and they want me to take a look at the speedo its self, then I can have a go at diagnosing and repairing (and returning). I'll then publish the solution for all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have also seen the voltage regulators getting dammaged (12V to 5V for the circuit board). This is caused by a noisy alternator - voltage spikes can be greater then the input limits for the reg. However the speedo does have a protection circuit that is supposed to clamp these spikes. I would reccomend that the protection circuit is also checked if a voltage regulator is ever found to be dammaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If anyone in the UK has this fault and they want me to take a look at the speedo its self, then I can have a go at diagnosing and repairing (and returning). I'll then publish the solution for all.
Hi, I seem to have the same problem - after bike sits for a while gauges lights up but LCD and RPM dial do nothing, bike starts fine. If I keep gauge disconnected for a while it starts working.
If I attach photo of gauge PCB could you please point me in direction how to troubleshoot it? I've replaced all capacitors in ECU on my MR2 MK2 so I'm competent with multimeter and soldering iron, just can't find any repair guides for this cluster online. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have just had one of these for repair. It turned out to be the microcontroller internal regulator. It's not possible to fix this so the PCB is scrap. I managed to get a working PCB from a damaged gauge and swap over the dial and LCD.
The fault was that the gauge would work for a few seconds then go off.
The damage is probably caused by poor regulation from the bikes supply and/or a rectifier that's on its way out. This stresses the electronics and eventually leads to failure.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I see. I've been on 2h ride, 1h break and another 1.5h ride yesterday and gauges worked fine. I've tested the plug last time it played up, but all wires seem to provide correct voltages and after plugging it in clocks worked fine again. Will have to apply ground on 19 pin and 12v on 16 pin on socket directly next time it plays up to see if it gives a needle sweep - if it doesn't means clocks are on the way out, what a shame!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Check 1: Meter Unit Primary Operation
• Using the auxiliary leads, connect the 12 V battery [A] to the meter unit connector as follow
○Connect the battery positive terminal to the terminal [17
○Connect the battery negative terminal to the terminal [19].
No needle sweep during this test. @extr400 does it mean microcontroller is gone? Could it be some component that can be replaced?
EDIT:
Wiggling connector or cables in connector while plugged in seems to make no difference. But unplugging and plugging connector makes needle either work or not randomly each time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I know quite a lot about how the gauge cluster works since i created the speedo adapter.
I can tell its not the ecu since your gauge would work but the FI light would flash due to no comms.

Since the gauge doesnt display but the backlight comes on then it must be the ignition wire to the connector or a broken ignition signal track inside the gauge or possibly the power reg (most likely) inside the gauge.

Since it sometimes works then its probably a bad cable crimp or bad circuit board.

Id test the ignition pin on the gauge plug first and see if thats ok. Then check the battery supply into the gauge second ( so there are effectively two 12v inputs to the speedo gauge)

extr400
Random question does anyone have any idea how to unpin the meter lead I have one wire that broke and it’s too short to use a but connector on so I’m trying to just unpin the single wire instead oh having to buy a new harness.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts