Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i go through the radar speed thingies by elementary schools doing an indicated 45ish and get "clocked" doing 28-31.

i'm regularly going down State Road 37 doing an indicated 80 and being passed by traffic doing a confirmed real 65mph.

no i'm not reading the kph hahahaha.

any clues as to where to look for why? i don't think the previous owner modified the bike in terms of increasing tooth, final gear ratio, etc. it all rides really really stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this problem is making getting my unrestricted motorcycle license difficult because i need to maintain a speed between 30 and 35mph and that's difficult to do without knowing exactly how fast that is. i suppose i could zip by the same school over and over to guess my holdover, but i really want to avoid doing that.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
I think this problem would occur if u swap the gauge cluster between different years. It looks exactly the same but it reads way off. That might be a possibility...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you checked that the sprocket sizes are standard? Having said that, you'd expect it to be even further out at an indicated 80mph if it was a sprocket issue, rather than remaining roughly a 15mph difference.

Not only is it showing you are going faster than you actually are, it will also be adding extra miles to your speedometer.

Until you get it sorted, you could always use a sat nav, or phone with GPS app to get a more accurate speed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen photos of other 98-99 speedos, and from the owner's manual, and mine looks okay.

I'm very sure the gearing is stock.

Another pointing to it being a non gearing issue, it doesn't seem to be off by a percentage. It just seems to be a steady 15-20 mph off.

Yes, the miles go up on it like crazy. My trip meter reads I've done like 150 miles in only an hour of riding haha.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
You have to keep in mind that the radar on those school zone things is inaccurate in the first place. They are aimed at a specific location and don't seem to track motorcycles very well. I regularly go by one that reports my speed 15-20mph lower than I'm going but will spike up and down regularly as well.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Yeah I've experienced that too. But I do know it's still reading wrong lol.
Ride next to a car at 50 and have them report back to you. I did that on my old 250 when I had literally the same question/reaction as what prompted you to create this thread lol

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Use a GPS or phone with GPS (there are speedometer apps out there) to check your real speed and compare.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You have an 07/08 ? I have an 08 and the speedo is totally worthless. Knowing the speed I'm going isn't important enough for me to buy a speedo healer so basically I've learned to ignore my speedometer altogether. I figure if I'm moving with traffic I'm ok.

My speedometer exaggerates speed by approx 12%. This also means that my odometer shows 12% more miles than the bike actually has. It also means ... if I wanted I could make some really cool you-tube vids showing my speedometer and people would ask me if I've got 'nitrus' or some dumb thing hooked up ... cuzza my lying speedo would be telling a pretty crazy story.

I've never been ticketed on my bike, though I've got a warning or two, so no worries there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts