Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

do i have to calibrate the spark plugs before installing?? or they come ready to use??
The thing is that i have installed them and bike is running great but some one asked me if i calibrated them... manual does not say anything about calibrating at the ''spark plugs replacement'' part so i dont know if i should remove them again and calibrate.

BTW the spark plugs are CR9E IX (iridium)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Good plugs.
I have always checked to see if the gap is correct.
Most of the time they need to be set properly.
If it were ME...
Id pull them just to make sure.
Its a peace of mind thing for me.

Im not sure what the gap is for an 05.
But in the "File Vault" you will find a manual that will help ya out.

IF you are talking about "degreeing" your plugs...
That is a whole different thing.
I only did that to my drag bikes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, you are right, im talking about checking the gap, what i did checked was that all of htem came with same gap (or very similar, i dont have the measurement kit)

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
if you go to autozone they have a little circular piece at the counter that has markings on it and is cut and marked for certain distances. it costs like a dollar or less. that's all you need to measure the gap. it's kinda a lot of work just to check them if the bikes running well.

leaving them as they are and waiting until one of them fouls wouldnt hurt anything i dont think. just make sure you fix it if it feels like you're missing a cylinder.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
always good to check the gap before installing spark plugs, recomended gap for you bike is 28-32 inches
THOUSANDTHS!!!! 28-32 THOUSANDTHS of an inch, that's 0.028. Not 28 inches....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and anyone knows which is the stock gap on this spark plugs?? cus they come protected to save the gap, and the guy at the dealer told me that i dont have to worry about doing it by my self but to take care to not hit them, that was the only advise from him, so i dont know what to think...

·
Registered
33 Posts
They are "protected". I go through alot of spark plugs at work and I always check the gap before I install them, first out of habbit and second because I have had alot of plugs out of spec right out of the box. Always check them!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, i know its thousands, ok, but the bike is running great, should i do all the job to check them or as raized said, its not worth it??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
if it runs it runs. If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
always good to check the gap before installing spark plugs, recomended gap for you bike is 28-32 inches
What is it for our bike mate?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I am putting all the final touches on my 6 to be done with it and have brand new iridium plugs and was about to change them and said f it lol the plugs in there work haha and she runs great! Ill just keep them close by and change them in the summer. I am a firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm having a hard time buying things for my zx10 cause everything is mint! But certain upgrades need to be done! For me plugs are not that important until the end

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Should they be torqued to a specific amount?
My experience is to use a wrench just to snug them a little past finger tight. I know there is a torque spec for them, but I've seen too many spark plug holes stripped before the torque wrench clicks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Those plugs say do not adjust on the package, i just put some in saturday

1 - 20 of 23 Posts