Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a group discussion started with people who ride in the southern Appalachians: southwest Virginia, western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee, northern Georgia, and northern South Carolina. I don't have anything in particular to discuss at the moment; I'm just trying to get a feel for how many of you folks out there ride in said area.

I live in Raleigh and take weekend trips to the mountains as much as possible. Mostly Asheville, but I venture off to the hotspots on occasion. Next spring I'll be doing a lot of trips to southwest VA. They're the closest mountains to me, and I went to Virginia Tech so I love the area.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I grew up in those mountains, the southwest va side! There's a couple good roads there but there not exactly the best roads to ride on. There well traveled by 18 wheelers and they take up most of the road, you never really see them coming. I know of one road that's pretty amazing, good sites, killer curves, smooth asphalt and not heavily traveled. It's just off of 58 in Jonesville Va. I don't get a chance to ride in that area much, like I said, I grew up there and my family is still there but I only go to visit. I'm in Iraq now but I'm definately going to spend a week or so there when I get back, I can show you around if you want.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Anyone else ride that area?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grew up in those mountains, the southwest va side! There's a couple good roads there but there not exactly the best roads to ride on. There well traveled by 18 wheelers and they take up most of the road, you never really see them coming. I know of one road that's pretty amazing, good sites, killer curves, smooth asphalt and not heavily traveled. It's just off of 58 in Jonesville Va. I don't get a chance to ride in that area much, like I said, I grew up there and my family is still there but I only go to visit. I'm in Iraq now but I'm definately going to spend a week or so there when I get back, I can show you around if you want.
What's up slow? I read your Iraq post. I can't even imagine the life you're leading right now. I have a cousin who's a Marine and has served a long time over there, so I get to hear stories from time to time. All the best!

I was born in Roanoke, VA, but I grew up in NoVA. Then I lived in Blacksburg for 9 years while I went to VT (for those wondering, no it didn't take that long for me to graduate; I earned two degrees). Are you from Jonesville?

I looked on the map trying to maybe find the road off of 58 you're talking about. I saw one that's pretty tangled up called Trail of the Loansome Pine? I also saw that 58 and 421 are the same road near Jonesville. If you take 421 into TN, there's an epic section around Shady Valley, TN; it's nicknamed The Snake. It's not as long as The Tail of the Dragon, but it certainly rivals it in frequency of curves. All the buzz though right now at the TN hotspots is that THP is ticketing everyone for everything (liscense plate location, mirrors, you name it). And the worst part, they're almost blatantly targeting sport bikes (first hand experiance). By the way, I found a road a few months back near Wytheville, VA that's pretty amazing.

Anyway, good to get some banter in this thread! And if our two-wheeled paths cross? Hell yea...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm not from Joneseville, I lived a few towns over but I went to high school in joneseville. 421 is the road I'm talking about, the roads are in better shape on the VA side but it does run into TN. The cops in TN are pretty much pricks. The off roading in that area is better than finding twisties on a sportbike. I grew up riding quads and I think I know my way around the mountains better than I do the roads in that area. I left there in 2002, I went to Arlington/Falls church and havent left yet. I'm moving to Richmond when I get back though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richmond, huh? That's cool; great town. Then your closest rides will probably be in the Charlottesville/Afton Mountain area. That place is way nice. I go through Richmond a lot on my trips to NoVA. Ever thought of doing track days at VIR? I'm going to take a class there in the spring - maybe with Cornerspeed? I don't know. But once I get my provisional racing license, I'll be doing some track days as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah I can manage a few track day's there. I was doing summit point a lot and I went to pocono right before I left. I've been trying to hit up VIR but I can't find anyone with enough time or talent to go with me. I probably won't do that many track day's when I get back because I want to get into riding dirt, it's a lot cheaper and there's a track about 20 minutes from where I'll be working that I can ride on whenever I want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts