Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. First Thread - new member
I've just started riding with my wife in April. We bought a 93 Ex500 to learn on, and went through a course. The plan is for me to get anouther bike before next season. We will be buying new, and its gonna be a Kawi.
If i buy a ZZR600 or ZX6r, am I going to be sore after a few hours of riding? I want to be able to go for day-long rides. Do you normally have to stop every hour or so to stretch? I'm pretty tall (6ft 4") and skinny (180lbs). With the EX i find I put too much weight on my wrists and don't support myself with my legs, but i don't have any back problems after a long ride.
I don't think ergos will stop me from buying the bike i want, but its worth knowing about before hand. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head with the bar pressure thing. Practice squeezing your legs on decel, pretend the bars are "baby chicks" as they say at Jason Pridmore's Star School. I usually just pop some advil if the ride is going to be long, but find the 07 ninja isn't the meat rack I thought it would be.

I have found that "spin" classes at golds gym are a great way to train my body for riding in the winter months. Stresses the same posture and such needed for riding.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kinda comes with the territory. The older you get, the more you'll notice it. But there are quite a few things that can be done to minimize the discomfort.

-First off, the more you ride the more your body becomes adjusted to the riding position. So more seat time will help. You wouldn't dream of running 26mi w/out first acclimating yourself right?
-You already mentioned holding yourself up with your legs, abdominals, and lower back(something you don't do). Get in the gym and work these areas. Muscles take the stress better than joints. PLUS operating a sportbike properly/safely requires very, very, VERY little force or weight on the clip-ons. Your weight should be on the lowest CG possible(pegs) and a hypothetical bathroom scale between your ass and the seat should'nt read over 20lbs if you're riding a sportbike the way it was meant to be ridden.
-You mention stopping for a stretch. It's a great idea to stop every so often on long rides. Modern sportbikes usually can't go over 135-150mi w/out a fuel stop, take this opportunity to get the blood flowing to your extemities again. A loose flexible rider will perform MUCH better than a tight balled up rider and, God forbid, fair much better in get offs. I stretch 30min every night.
-Experiment with different body postions on the straights which will help you alleviate the stress on your problematic areas.
-Stay hydrated. You might be surprised by how important this is. If you're not pissing clear every couple hours, you need more water(not gatorade or similar sugar drinks...WATER). Dehydrated muscles cramp easily.
-Ibuprofin is your friend...especially when you get old like me.:)
-I've found a tank-bag stuffed with a sweatshirt or similar bulky clothes item is great to just flop on and relax for a minute or two.

If all this fails and it still hurts too much to ride long distances...buy a gold wing.:boring

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The ZZR600 is pretty similar to the EX500 in terms of egros, the ZX6R is quite a bit more aggressive (i.e. less comfy). Egro's and comfort will vary a lot from person to person so I can only tell you how I get along. I'm 25, 5'10 and 160lbs.

IMHO a standard style bike is much better suited for all day riding and a sport bike better suited for the track. Something like the Verseys or Q's ER might be worth looking at if you want to stay with smallish displacement Kawasaki's (great bikes:hail).

I find that I can go as long as I can stay awake on a sport bike, but I'm never terribly comfortable, though it doesn't really get any worse after a couple hundred miles. My bike has a fuel range of about 150 miles so I have to stop often whether I like it or not. I've done a total of 60k miles on a sport bike with my longest day being about 1100 miles. That said, I doubt I'll ever buy a sport bike for street riding again, just too many compromises without any real gain in my view, I can go just as fast on a standard and be in better control, have a better view and be more comfortable:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Sounds like I need to get into better shape - which isn't a bad thing since i have a cooshy office job:boring - and I need to just work on my posture while riding. Great help. I had already concluded that a ZX would be a little bit hard on me for long rides, but I've wanted a real Kawi Ninja since the age of 10. Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Everyone else seems to have covered it! The older model ZZR's (Pr-2005) are more comfy than the newer ones but you won't get as sore on them as opposed to any year model ZX6R. But you'll still get sore, like every bike I guess. The squeezing the tank with your knees to take the weight off your wrists works for me but you have to have at least a 2-pack to achieve it. But after a while you wont even realise your doing it, it will be second nature. No cure for the sore arse except maybe a sheepskin seat cover. But erm, yeah. I'll pass on that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You might be able to get Helibars, or vario-bars or something similar to bring the bars up a little higher too:O

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find my 6R reasonable for touring, although your wrists can get a bit sore and the throttle is a bit light if you've got bumpy roads, I'd be more inclined to go for something like a ZZR1100, bit more of a meaty midrange and heavier throttle and more room for your wife.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wife will always be on a seperate bike. She is going to keep the Ex500 until after I get my next bike. And its kind of funny. My dad has a sheep skin cover on his seat, but thats an '05 goldwing so it looks okay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well, in that case get the ZX6, but I reckon if you can, go for the 636 bit more mid range which will come in very handy and a seriously fierce top end. I'm 6'3" and have no real problems except for the occassional sore wrists. The only thing I would change is to get a double bubble screen so you can see the dials and keep the wind blast to a minimum. Very comfy seat too. Just don't plan on carrying any luggage with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts