Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 ZX6R as pictured to left. I have about 30,000 miles on this bike. All the miles were mine, and I properly broke the motor in. I have noticed some random tapping noises since about 16,000 miles. I understand that a slight tapping is normal. As I read from someone here before and has stuck in my head since: "a tappy tappet is a happy tappet.". I had the valves adjusted at 16k, and had to have 2nd gear replaced due to just plain beating the shit out of it.
About 3 weeks ago, I started my bike up getting ready to head to work, I usually let it warm to about 150 degrees farenhight before taking off. When I came back out of the house, I hard that the idle was very unsteady going up and down (not sequentially, just every couple seconds.). I figured since it was cold maybe it wasnt idling right, no big deal. I tried to take off several times, and it just kept stalling. It had basically no power and was breaking up all through the rpms. I took it for a ride when I got home from work, and it was terrible. Just completely breaking up at all rpms, sounded like it was running on two cylinders, then catching all 4 for a second and taking off, then losing em again. I tore it apart and found that all 4 plugs were completely charred white and black, just really shitty looking. I had ridden the bike the night before and had no problems at all, it ran great.
I replaced the plugs, and the bike ran perfect again for about a week. Now it is back to idling up and down, and is beginning to break up in the high rpms again. When it runs right, it runs GREAT, but it definitley feels and sounds like its missing on one or more cylinder when it breaks up. For info, I had issues with the bike burning 10w-40 oil for a while so I switched it to 20w-50, and hasnt been burning it since. I cleaned the air filter (BMC) about a month before all this started happening. Could this be an EFI or ignition problem? Im hoping that its not something more serious. I know this was a really long post, but I wanted to get all the info there. Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
just a suggestion, but if you have a butterfly valve still in your exhaust, and it isnt connected to the cables, or broke loose, that will cause the exhaust to build up and backpressure to rise in the cylinders, it would cause the blackened plugs, unsteady idle, and your loss of power. If you want to check, just pop your rear seat and look in there and try and move it, if you cant get to it, you might need to pop off the tail to check it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a suggestion, but if you have a butterfly valve still in your exhaust, and it isnt connected to the cables, or broke loose, that will cause the exhaust to build up and backpressure to rise in the cylinders, it would cause the blackened plugs, unsteady idle, and your loss of power. If you want to check, just pop your rear seat and look in there and try and move it, if you cant get to it, you might need to pop off the tail to check it.
That just might make sense. Shortly before all this started happening, I forgot about the fact that we had the exhaust off the bike and had to disconnect that valve. We hooked it back up, but perhaps we didnt do it right. The valve your talkin about is the one that moves back and forth when the key is turned on, correct? I will check that tomorrow. Time to call off work and do some fixin' lol. Hopefully it works.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shouldnt be disconnected, but I know we were kinda confused and had to flip the key on and off a few times to get the cables back on "right". So I'll pull the tail off and check that tomorrow. I need to repaint the exhaust anyhow, its chippin' off. So ill kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for your help man. Ill keep you updated on how things go.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any updates? I'm curious about this...
I checked the butterfly valve, it seems to be working just fine. I pulled the airbox cover and saw that there definitely isa small amount of oil inside the airbox. We also saw that the foam around the edge of my BMC filter was not on correctly. Probably got bumped out of place when we put it back inside the last time. There was alot of dirt and bugs built up right on the edge of the plastic where the protective foam should have been. So im thinking that the bike simply sucked a small bug or piece of dirt in and clogged the injector/injectors. Im going to have the injectors replaced and hopefully this will solve my problem.

·
Registered
992 Posts
you really should not use 20/50 oil it is not good for the bike ..check your fuel injectors i had the same problem on my 96 zx6r it was the fuel injectors they were out of wack..i replaced them and the bike ran great thereafter . 20/50 is too thick for fuel injected bikes..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you really should not use 20/50 oil it is not good for the bike ..check your fuel injectors i had the same problem on my 96 zx6r it was the fuel injectors they were out of wack..i replaced them and the bike ran great thereafter . 20/50 is too thick for fuel injected bikes..

Dude that would make perfect sense. The bike ran great until about a week after i put the 20w-50 in it. Would 15w-50 be ok for it? It was burning way too much oil with 10w-40.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Dude that would make perfect sense. The bike ran great until about a week after i put the 20w-50 in it. Would 15w-50 be ok for it? It was burning way too much oil with 10w-40.
you should use repsol 10/40 semi synthetic my boy works in the pits in cali w/kawasaki and works for a kawi dealer they only use repsol 10/40 semi synthetic cause kawi dont have semi synthetic ..kawai will have semi synthetic next year.. i hope you fix it.. he says flush the old oil,change the oil filter air filter and change the plugs .. and clean the fuel injectors..and your good to go..

·
Registered
992 Posts
you live on the east like me air is different here it is thicker and this weather all out of wack the 20/50 is just too thick

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you should use repsol 10/40 semi synthetic my boy works in the pits in cali w/kawasaki and works for a kawi dealer they only use repsol 10/40 semi synthetic cause kawi dont have semi synthetic ..kawai will have semi synthetic next year.. i hope you fix it.. he says flush the old oil,change the oil filter air filter and change the plugs .. and clean the fuel injectors..and your good to go..
One question: can i just put some injector cleaner gas addittive in to clean the injectors? I will do everything else this coming week. thanks very much! Im tryin to get this show back on the road!

·
Registered
992 Posts
who changed the oil you and how much did you put in .cause w/thicker oil you use less to much chokes thebike

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
who changed the oil you and how much did you put in .cause w/thicker oil you use less to much chokes thebike
I filled it up the last time. I put it to about middle, maybe a little higher in between the fill windows. So I probably put too much in.

·
Registered
397 Posts
He has a good point about the thicker oil, but you dont want to run it with the oil less than the minimum, you will fry your clutch within 100 miles, and if you ride as much as I do, thats like one days worth. And on a second note, I have found "SeaFoam" injector cleaner to work the best.

·
Registered
992 Posts
He has a good point about the thicker oil, but you dont want to run it with the oil less than the minimum, you will fry your clutch within 100 miles, and if you ride as much as I do, thats like one days worth. And on a second note, I have found "SeaFoam" injector cleaner to work the best.
10 40 oil is standard for bikes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts