Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bit more info might help,what model is it ?, have you done anything to it ? Is it turning over ?

Just a bit more to go on and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soz peeps... its a zx6 99 g2 model,t plate, ive had the alarm looked at,but it seems not2 be that,i can here clickin comin from the fuse box,but thats it! im sure its not the alarm cos i bump start it! jus dont no wha else to check!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh i have checked tha,its fine...my m8 jus looked at it an he finks cos the alarm an imobiliser is all in 1,it cud be faulty! its a lazerline one..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a battery problem. The electrical system is OK because the bike bump starts. Immobiliser wouldn't allow the bike even to bump start. Clicking from fuel box jus sounds like failure of engine to turn over. Try jumpstarting with regular leads from your car. If it starts, then all you need is to recharge battery or replace it if required.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello mate,just a quick suggestion but have you tried the starter
solonoid (think thats how you spell it !!)normaly near fuse box.had the same problem with an old bike of mine.got it replaced and all was fine

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had that problem on my '99 G2 too!
I could ride it for a few hours, stop, get on again and ride again, no problems. BUT, if i stopped it then tried to start it again within a couple of minutes (ie. petrol fill up) , same symptons as you - just a click from fuse box, needs a push start and then fired up easily. Mine only did this when the bike was hot and the weather was hot too. Battery was fully charged.
Tried loads of remedies including new battery but ended up being told by a mate it was probably an air lock in fuel tank. Next time it happened i popped open the tank filler cap, hit the starter and it fired up!!!! Went home and cleaned out SMALL breather in fuel cap and it worked, sometimes.....
Problem still appeared occasionally on HOT days and short stops but always push started 1st time, which could get embarrasing sometimes.....
Try cleaning your filler cap, it worked on mine, for a bit!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi.. i had this kind of prob.. but it was a little bit of corrosion on the bettery terminals !! If you have another battery just try it on mate & good luck !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The clicking you are hearing is the starter solenoid which is the unit with the two heavy leads on it (one having a red cover) next to the fuse box. If it's clicking then it should be working. It could be the starter or starter connection. When the solenoid clicks (when you press the start button) it is internally bridging the two terminals, this gives you a direct feed from the battery through the solenoid to the starter motor.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Normally if the Solenoid clicks but the engine doesn't turn over it because the battery has insufficient charge to turn the starter motor. Again this is reinforced by the fact the bike will bump start. See if you can blag a battery off someone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeap, i had the same prob on my G2, flat battery caused by alarm, ive now got a trickle charger and it works a treat!, Give the terminals a clean, oh and dont use to much choke and flood the engine, and i could go on… and on! Its not a massive problem though. Enoy

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had that exact same problem on my old Honda XL125. but with mine it would just cut out at low revs (ie when at a round about, or travelling in slow traffic). the same symptoms as your getting in the end i tried everything and nothing seemed to solve the problem, finally got rid of the problem when a taxi smashed into the back of me and wrote the bike off.

but thats a bit of an extreme to go to to sort it out! :D

good luck with the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts