Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i have an 07 ZX6R

on the left side of the bike on the lower left fairing (theres some sort of vent there) i have some kind of minor leak going on. it looks like maybe oil? small amount but it seems to be coming from that vent area. any idea what it could be?

the "oil splatter" would be in the red circle (but on the left side of the bike).

the bike was dropped 1 time, although not too violently. there are scratches in the area the oil is coming from so i am wondering if maybe the drop is the cause of this? anybody have any idea?

if it helps the bike has 1400 miles on it; i'm taking its long overdue 500mi service monday morning

thanks all

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No one on here is going to be able to give you a solid answer without making guessimations on what it is (Simply becuase no one can visual see what your talking about). With that being said heres my guess.... If ya dropped it and the impact took place where your leak is appearing than well Id guess the drop caused the leak. Where the leak is coming from can be quite a few places so I would take it in and get it checked out.

However, at 1400 miles with a new bike, you have not had the service done that should of been done at around 600-800 miles. There is a reason they HIGHLY recommend this service be done. In short, They change the oil and oil filter (New engines release a high amount of metal shavings and you dont want that in your oil for long), they check tire pressures, battery, chain slack, ect ect. But this is where your issue may come into play, they check all the nuts and bolts on the bike and make sure they are at the right torque specs (new bikes bolts/nuts tend to loosen quickly with the jaring of riding). Soooooo with your bike being at 1400 miles without any tightening yet, well its quite possible something came loose that shouldnt have and has cause a leak.

Take it in and get it checked, and invest in some sliders, they help with repair bills when it comes to drops

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
And if it is the left side where the leak is coming from check for a loose oil filter or even a puncture in the filter for that matter, ok im done haha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some of the 07's have had valve cover leaks and crank seal leaks.

I would guess you have a valve cover leak.

Take it in as it a quick simple fix.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts