Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased 2009 zx6r w/3k miles and i am thrilled to join this forum. My bike is stock except for straight piped exhaust, servo cables disconnected. No lights on the dash.

When I test drove the motorcycle before buying it, i was able to cycle through all the gears and redline at 16k rpms, it drove with no hiccups. The previous owner had serviced the bike 1 week prior and had the shop replace just fuel pump motor and do "kreem" tank treatment. After i had brought it home, on my 2nd time taking it out, it started maxing out rpms at 5k.

I started looking thru this forum and found out information about rusty tanks and clogged/bad fuel pumps. I took apart one of the fuel pumps thanks to a great breakdown by
"bobbehp", the fuel filter was completely filled with rust looking particles. I also treated the tank with apple cider vinegar and bb's. I was able to get all the rust out of tank and what was left of the "kreem" liner. After assembling everything together, I started it up and was able to rev a little past 10k in neutral but as soon as i started driving, it maxed out at 5k.

I took apart the bike to the throttle body and made sure everything was connected properly. Also checked spark plugs and secondary injectors since people say secondary injectors kick in after 5k rpms.

Today i purchased some Seafoam and put in 8 floz in a full tank of gas and immediately upon firing up and driving, i was able to hit max 10-12k. I rode around for 30 minutes and parked it. I drove it again after 4 hours and this time, i couldn't hit anything above 5k.

Is it safe to assume that the issue would be either in the fuel pump or the secondary injectors? And what would you guys suggest be my next course of action?

thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased 2009 zx6r w/3k miles and i am thrilled to join this forum. My bike is stock except for straight piped exhaust, servo cables disconnected. No lights on the dash.

When I test drove the motorcycle before buying it, i was able to cycle through all the gears and redline at 16k rpms, it drove with no hiccups. The previous owner had serviced the bike 1 week prior and had the shop replace just fuel pump motor and do "kreem" tank treatment. After i had brought it home, on my 2nd time taking it out, it started maxing out rpms at 5k.

I started looking thru this forum and found out information about rusty tanks and clogged/bad fuel pumps. I took apart one of the fuel pumps thanks to a great breakdown by
"bobbehp", the fuel filter was completely filled with rust looking particles. I also treated the tank with apple cider vinegar and bb's. I was able to get all the rust out of tank and what was left of the "kreem" liner. After assembling everything together, I started it up and was able to rev a little past 10k in neutral but as soon as i started driving, it maxed out at 5k.

I took apart the bike to the throttle body and made sure everything was connected properly. Also checked spark plugs and secondary injectors since people say secondary injectors kick in after 5k rpms.

Today i purchased some Seafoam and put in 8 floz in a full tank of gas and immediately upon firing up and driving, i was able to hit max 10-12k. I rode around for 30 minutes and parked it. I drove it again after 4 hours and this time, i couldn't hit anything above 5k.

Is it safe to assume that the issue would be either in the fuel pump or the secondary injectors? And what would you guys suggest be my next course of action?

thanks ahead of time!
Whats up dawg.

I’m not very familiar with this kreem stuff, but it’s some kind of rubberized tank liner, correct? I suppose its possible some of that shit made it’s way into the fuel lines and clogged a couple injectors. Or an entire fuel line.

The secondary injectors kick in at 7k or if the throttle is opened 1/4 of the way or something like that.

I’d verify the injectors are firing and then pull the injectors, the pump, and clean everything again.

The service manual for your bike is here somewhere. Download it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats up dawg.

I’m not very familiar with this kreem stuff, but it’s some kind of rubberized tank liner, correct? I suppose its possible some of that shit made it’s way into the fuel lines and clogged a couple injectors. Or an entire fuel line.

The secondary injectors kick in at 7k or if the throttle is opened 1/4 of the way or something like that.

I’d verify the injectors are firing and then pull the injectors, the pump, and clean everything again.

The service manual for your bike is here somewhere. Download it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I called the shop that worked on this bike about the "kreem" tank treatment and they said they are no longer doing it because so many customers had come back to them complaining of rust back in tank and fuel delivery issues.

I'll go ahead take out the injectors and try cleaning them by connecting to 12volt and running cleaner thru them. As well as take apart fuel pump and look at strainer/filter again.

Thanks man, I'll post results once done

·
Registered
655 Posts
You have a lot of tank cleaning to do, you won't be able to get it done with one treatment. I'd buy 3-4 fuel filter socks off ebay for the pump. I'd be willing to bet the filter you just replaced is already clogged a good bit. Change it out again.

Getting the inside of a tank clean is honestly a real PITA...requires patience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd plan on getting a fuel pump. Especially considering the age when you look at the circumstances you're already dealing with.
Forgot to mention in original post, the shop changed the actual fuel pump motor to a new Quantum motor when they did tank treatment.

You have a lot of tank cleaning to do, you won't be able to get it done with one treatment. I'd buy 3-4 fuel filter socks off ebay for the pump. I'd be willing to bet the filter you just replaced is already clogged a good bit. Change it out again.

Getting the inside of a tank clean is honestly a real PITA...requires patience.
Yea I figure it won't hurt to do it several more times although I did a really good job, shook that tank hard for total of an hour. I'm curious to take apart fuel pump again and see how clogged that strainer is after I got it completely cleaned out.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
This is a case where I would think electrolysis would be the way to go to get to bare metal free of rust. THEN seal the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a case where I would think electrolysis would be the way to go to get to bare metal free of rust. THEN seal the tank.
+1.

My “slightly” used 06 636 I just picked up has rust in the tank and am starting this process tonight. Hopefully a few days with a rinse in between sessions will have this thing rust free. Also put in a new pump with filters and removed the rust from the pump housing. Thing was filthy and sputtering at idle.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The quickest and most effective way to get rid of the rust without harming the good metal in the tank is to use Evapo-Rust. It's actually almost like magic how well it works.

You should be able to find it at a local shop somewhere, or you can get it here: Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust, The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 32 oz: Automotive
Might have to give that a shot. You really got that many miles on ur zx6r?? Is it still the original tank?

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
^^ my '09 has also broken through 70K miles.... still original tank, injectors. Nothing on the fueling side has been changed.

Biggest thing you can do to prevent damage (rust) is eliminate air in the tank. That's done by keeping the tank as full as humanly possible. If you can keep a gas can of fuel in the garage and you fill the tank when you get home from any ride, you are reducing the chance of trapping moisture in the tank tremendously. No water, no rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ my '09 has also broken through 70K miles.... still original tank, injectors. Nothing on the fueling side has been changed.

Biggest thing you can do to prevent damage (rust) is eliminate air in the tank. That's done by keeping the tank as full as humanly possible. If you can keep a gas can of fuel in the garage and you fill the tank when you get home from any ride, you are reducing the chance of trapping moisture in the tank tremendously. No water, no rust.
That's impressive! I've had 5 different motorcycles ranging from 05 636 to a yamaha raider 1900 and never really thought that the inside can rust that bad but this zx6r sure showed me how bad it can get. Once I get her back to running like new, I'll be more diligent bout keeping her full all the time.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Fuel related issues are by vast majority due to neglect by the owner..... either the tank is left too low, or low quality gas may be used. The tank, that becomes obvious when you have owned enough bikes long enough.

Low quality gas, is another thing -- it's not just making the mistake of shopping for the cheapest fuel you can find -- it can also be buying fuel at a station while the delivery truck is pumping fuel into the storage tank you are going to draw the fuel you purchase from.

Every fuel storage tank everywhere, has a certain amount of water and dirt at the bottom of the tank. Gravity will settle it all out to the bottom of the tank within a few hours, the heaviest stuff will drop out of suspension in the stored fuel within a shorter period of time.

It's a juggling act. I choose to get fuel at high volume name brand gas stations, unless the taker truck is present.

If the bike has to sit for more than a week or so..... full tank. If it's going to be longer than a couple of weeks, I try and throw in some fuel stabilizer.

The best way to avoid the build up of noxious stuff in the fuel tank, is to consume the fuel in fairly short order after purchase.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Might have to give that a shot. You really got that many miles on ur zx6r?? Is it still the original tank?
Yes, over 70,000 miles now! And, yes, still the original tank.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
That's impressive! I've had 5 different motorcycles ranging from 05 636 to a yamaha raider 1900 and never really thought that the inside can rust that bad but this zx6r sure showed me how bad it can get. Once I get her back to running like new, I'll be more diligent bout keeping her full all the time.
You can also use StarTron to treat fuel that has ethanol in it to mitigate the problems ethanol causes (e.g. drawing water out of the air and into the fuel).

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
~ You really got that many miles on ur zx6r?? Is it still the original tank?~
Why would you think a fuel tank shouldn't last for the life of the motorcycle, regardless if that is 20,000 miles or 500,000 miles???????????????

You just need to keep them full and moisture out and they last forever!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuel related issues are by vast majority due to neglect by the owner..... either the tank is left too low, or low quality gas may be used. The tank, that becomes obvious when you have owned enough bikes long enough.

Low quality gas, is another thing -- it's not just making the mistake of shopping for the cheapest fuel you can find -- it can also be buying fuel at a station while the delivery truck is pumping fuel into the storage tank you are going to draw the fuel you purchase from.

Every fuel storage tank everywhere, has a certain amount of water and dirt at the bottom of the tank. Gravity will settle it all out to the bottom of the tank within a few hours, the heaviest stuff will drop out of suspension in the stored fuel within a shorter period of time.

It's a juggling act. I choose to get fuel at high volume name brand gas stations, unless the taker truck is present.

If the bike has to sit for more than a week or so..... full tank. If it's going to be longer than a couple of weeks, I try and throw in some fuel stabilizer.

The best way to avoid the build up of noxious stuff in the fuel tank, is to consume the fuel in fairly short order after purchase.
Well I'm glad I came upon all this info. Never really thought about it all like that. Learning new things everyday!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Major update:

So I tore the bike apart again and did the following:
  • Used EvapoRust on tank and would rotate the fluid every 45-60min to reach all inner surfaces (thanks @Strider )
  • Cleaned out the overfill tubes/lines in the tank
  • Purchased the Quantum Fuel Pump kit w/Regulator & new fuel strainers and rebuilt the entire fuel pump changing out o-rings as well
  • Replaced engine air filter with K&N filter and cleaned out airbox from the foam padding (it was very grimy)
  • Took out fuel injectors and soaked them entirely in a cup of SeaFoam for an hour
  • Used the DIY method of cleaning only the secondary fuel injectors with some Autozone Carb Cleaner hooked up to the motorcycle battery (they were full of junk) thanks @zx6rguiy
  • Cleaned the secondary fuel rail and both fuel hoses with the carb cleaner
I took her out and she was golden. That 16k orgasmic redline paired with my straight piped shorty exhaust never felt so good! :LOL:

I learned alot about motorcycles that I hadn't known before and am grateful to your input. I feel like everything worked together but the key was cleaning the secondary injectors.

I'll probably take apart the tank and fuel tank 1 more time in several weeks just to check the tank and strainer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts