Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me start by saying I'm a fucking idiot.

There.

Now you guys can't make fun of me because I already did.

Last week, I found an R1 in my price range and I loved the white color scheme. After going back and forth between selling my beloved ZX636 (2005) and buying it, weighing the pros and cons and insurance shopping, the whole nine yards. I decided to buy the R1.

I put my bike up for sale 2 nights ago at about 9:00PM. I get a call 2 hours later from someone who wants to come take a look at it.

He seems adamant and says hes sure he wants to buy it. I tell him to come by in the morning and like clockwork, he shows up at 8:00AM cash in hand.

Mind you, my bike is not in "showroom" condition but is VERY well taken care of. Minor nicks from everyday riding but never been laid down. Oil changes done religiously, new grips, new bar ends, new spark plugs, exhaust with servo buddy, new tires. What I'm trying to say is that I was content with the bike. I loved that bike because it was mine and I know how it was ridden.

Now after I sold the bike, I called the guy with the R1.

HE SOLD THE BIKE THE NIGHT I POSTED THE AD UP!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

So heres how the scenario played out between me and the girlfriend :

Dumb girlfriend : "So honey, why don't you want until something like the R1 is posted for sale."

Me : "No, I want a bike now since the weathers looking up."

Idiotic with month round mood swings girlfriend : "Well honey, you don't HAVE to ride this week."

Me : "Bitch please, yes I HAVE TO OR I WILL DIE!"

Oblivious girlfriend who can't cook : "That's dumb."

Me : "Get back to folding laundry, you have no say in this because you don't know how it feels to be bike-less."

So last night I spot this 2007 ZX6R for sale. 6k miles, and pictures look to be in phenomenal shape.

Can't beat that. I love the ZX636 headlights but am neutral about the tail. I love the 07-08 ZX6R tail but neutral about the headlights so its a trade off.

Boy was I fucking wrong. I bought the bike and I hate everything about it.

It was lowered with Vortex dogbones so when I take semi aggressive turns my boots scrape on the pavement. It was laid down previously and I hate not having a clean bike. The turn signals don't fucking work. The brake light doesn't work (which I fixed this morning), it doesn't pull as hard as my 636. Since it was laid down, the new painted fairings don't line up as well.

On the bright side, the bike is so so smooth, riding position is awkward but the windscreen placement works for me a little better. Transmission shifting is butter.

I want to so desperately call the guy who bought my bike and trade him straight up but I know that isn't smart.

Sorry, gotta vent. Maybe I'm trying to have you guys reinforce my decision.

Cliff notes :
-Sold bike that I loved to buy another
-Other was sold
-Bought a newer one
-I hate it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nooooooo why would you get rid of the 636??? the 636 is a blessing and a curse, I could never ride another 600.
On the test ride, I didn't want to romp on it but the moment I took it out and twisted the throttle, I had to wait for it to start actually pulling.

I didn't think 37cc's could make such a big difference. I was wrong.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess mines the one that got away.

Weird thing is that there was a thread on the forum earlier that was something to the extent of, "Are you attached to your bike?" I thought to myself, "That's dumb, its just a hunk of metal." Turns out I was a lot more attached to it than I thought.

I feel like an idiot because when the guy that I sold mine to called me, he spoke very hood-like. I felt like he was going to beat on it and treat it like shit. Yeah, its prejudice and I feel dumb now but turns out he was my friend's cousin and treats the bike extremely well. He even texted me later that night and thanked me for selling him a bike he absolutely loves and pledged to take care of it.

At least shes in good hands :(

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Well I guess mines the one that got away.

Weird thing is that there was a thread on the forum earlier that was something to the extent of, "Are you attached to your bike?" I thought to myself, "That's dumb, its just a hunk of metal." Turns out I was a lot more attached to it than I thought.

I feel like an idiot because when the guy that I sold mine to called me, he spoke very hood-like. I felt like he was going to beat on it and treat it like shit. Yeah, its prejudice and I feel dumb now but turns out he was my friend's cousin and treats the bike extremely well. He even texted me later that night and thanked me for selling him a bike he absolutely loves and pledged to take care of it.

At least shes in good hands :(
Sucks man.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddies called me an hour ago and asked if I wanted to go ride tonight.

I have NEVER rejected a group ride but I actually told them I'm staying home tonight.

Seriously, I'm not even excited to ride any more.

I really should have gotten a more thorough look at this bike. I need to dump so much money into it to get it rideable (misc fairing bolts missing). For fucks sake 2 motor mounts were missing!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

You seriously sold your 636?! It hurts my heart to hear that. It sucks that after you sell your bike the R1 is gone. I'm guessing you needed the money from your sale to get the R1 as I would have said. buy the R1 then sell your bike.

Maybe you'll warm up the new 07 6R. The 636 has THE sexiest front end period but the 07 tail isn't bad.

this will burn for a little bit but your agitated feelings will soon subdue.

Got any pics of the 07 to put up?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My buddies called me an hour ago and asked if I wanted to go ride tonight.

I have NEVER rejected a group ride but I actually told them I'm staying home tonight.

Seriously, I'm not even excited to ride any more.

I really should have gotten a more thorough look at this bike. I need to dump so much money into it to get it rideable (misc fairing bolts missing). For fucks sake 2 motor mounts were missing!
2 motor mounts are missing?! Sounds like you were in a rush to buy another bike and ended up with a two wheeled lemon.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

You seriously sold your 636?! It hurts my heart to hear that. It sucks that after you sell your bike the R1 is gone. I'm guessing you needed the money from your sale to get the R1 as I would have said. buy the R1 then sell your bike.

Maybe you'll warm up the new 07 6R. The 636 has THE sexiest front end period but the 07 tail isn't bad.

this will burn for a little bit but your agitated feelings will soon subdue.

Got any pics of the 07 to put up?
Yeah, I needed the money from the sale to go towards the R1.

I didn't even take pictures of it yet because every time I go out to the garage and look at the bike, I get sick to my stomach. So much to do on the bike.

2 motor mounts are missing?! Sounds like you were in a rush to buy another bike and ended up with a two wheeled lemon.
Yeah I'll admit, I was in a rush. I waited 4 months and 2 weeks to buy my 636. I bought this one that day.

The motor mounts were put in free of charge from my mechanic who felt sorry for me. I don't think its a complete lemon. The engine is pristine. I just need to dump a few hundred in it to make me like the bike. The tail fairing only had the top screws attached to keep it on. I literally took 1 screw off and removed the tail fairing. I couldn't see that unless I removed the seat when I was buying.

·
Registered
298 Posts
First of all, let me start by saying I'm a fucking idiot.

There.

Now you guys can't make fun of me because I already did.

Last week, I found an R1 in my price range and I loved the white color scheme. After going back and forth between selling my beloved ZX636 (2005) and buying it, weighing the pros and cons and insurance shopping, the whole nine yards. I decided to buy the R1.

I put my bike up for sale 2 nights ago at about 9:00PM. I get a call 2 hours later from someone who wants to come take a look at it.

He seems adamant and says hes sure he wants to buy it. I tell him to come by in the morning and like clockwork, he shows up at 8:00AM cash in hand.

Mind you, my bike is not in "showroom" condition but is VERY well taken care of. Minor nicks from everyday riding but never been laid down. Oil changes done religiously, new grips, new bar ends, new spark plugs, exhaust with servo buddy, new tires. What I'm trying to say is that I was content with the bike. I loved that bike because it was mine and I know how it was ridden.

Now after I sold the bike, I called the guy with the R1.

HE SOLD THE BIKE THE NIGHT I POSTED THE AD UP!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

So heres how the scenario played out between me and the girlfriend :

Dumb girlfriend : "So honey, why don't you want until something like the R1 is posted for sale."

Me : "No, I want a bike now since the weathers looking up."

Idiotic with month round mood swings girlfriend : "Well honey, you don't HAVE to ride this week."

Me : "Bitch please, yes I HAVE TO OR I WILL DIE!"

Oblivious girlfriend who can't cook : "That's dumb."

Me : "Get back to folding laundry, you have no say in this because you don't know how it feels to be bike-less."

So last night I spot this 2007 ZX6R for sale. 6k miles, and pictures look to be in phenomenal shape.

Can't beat that. I love the ZX636 headlights but am neutral about the tail. I love the 07-08 ZX6R tail but neutral about the headlights so its a trade off.

Boy was I fucking wrong. I bought the bike and I hate everything about it.

It was lowered with Vortex dogbones so when I take semi aggressive turns my boots scrape on the pavement. It was laid down previously and I hate not having a clean bike. The turn signals don't fucking work. The brake light doesn't work (which I fixed this morning), it doesn't pull as hard as my 636. Since it was laid down, the new painted fairings don't line up as well.

On the bright side, the bike is so so smooth, riding position is awkward but the windscreen placement works for me a little better. Transmission shifting is butter.

I want to so desperately call the guy who bought my bike and trade him straight up but I know that isn't smart.

Sorry, gotta vent. Maybe I'm trying to have you guys reinforce my decision.

Cliff notes :
-Sold bike that I loved to buy another
-Other was sold
-Bought a newer one
-I hate it.
I know what you mean. when My R6 was stolen, my wife told me "things happen for a good reason" I said fucked it and a week later i got something better my 06 ZX6R. I feel completed again:hail:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yeah, I needed the money from the sale to go towards the R1.

I didn't even take pictures of it yet because every time I go out to the garage and look at the bike, I get sick to my stomach. So much to do on the bike.

Yeah I'll admit, I was in a rush. I waited 4 months and 2 weeks to buy my 636. I bought this one that day.

The motor mounts were put in free of charge from my mechanic who felt sorry for me. I don't think its a complete lemon. The engine is pristine. I just need to dump a few hundred in it to make me like the bike. The tail fairing only had the top screws attached to keep it on. I literally took 1 screw off and removed the tail fairing. I couldn't see that unless I removed the seat when I was buying.

All jokes aside I feel your pain.I can relate in a way to your situation. It does get better/easier over time.

You could fix the problems on the bike and put it up for sale and find another 636

or fix it up and maybe you'll like the bike more and keep it.

I think I have some extra fairing bolts around. Not sure if they are the same length as the 636 or same color but let me know.

best of luck mate

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All jokes aside I feel your pain.I can relate in a way to your situation. It does get better/easier over time.

You could fix the problems on the bike and put it up for sale and find another 636

or fix it up and maybe you'll like the bike more and keep it.

I think I have some extra fairing bolts around. Not sure if they are the same length as the 636 or same color but let me know.

best of luck mate
My girlfriend said, "Hey look on the bright side, at least you don't have to spend 200 dollars and effort on a projector retrofit."

I hate it when shes a smartass.

Thanks for the support. I'm sure in 2 months and some time, I'll have it running and looking how I want.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
thank you I just had a really good laugh at your expense

....don't take it too hard we've all done it....a buddy of mine did it with his woman he was content with, he saw something he liked,
,got rid of her.....and in no time at all ...he wanted her back

It's a well know risk when leaving sure for unsure....:coocoo

...the reality is even if you got the R1 you wanted, it still couldve turned out to be a big disappointment ....

...next time have a plan B, if the purchase falls thru

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
i think the 07-08 is one sick lookin beast IMO... IF THEIR HAD NOT BEEN SO MANY "UPGRADES" TO THE 09 MODEL I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE 08 AESTHETICALLY BECAUSE I LOVE THE UNDERTAIL EXHAUST LOOK AS OPPOSED TO MINE.

WHAT I REALLY WANT THOUGH IS TO TRADE MY 09 FOR A DIABLO BLACK 2008 ZX10 STR8 ACROSS !

I AM HOPING THIS MIGHT HAPPEN SOME DAY IF I FIND SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO JUMP DOWN TO A 600 FOR TRACK OR WHATEVER REASON.

I AM HOPING KEEPING MY MILES LOW AND FINDING SOMEONE WITH HIGHER MILEAGE ON An 08 ZX10 (THE MORE THAT GAP SPREADS IN MILEAGE) THE MORE OUR BIKES WILL BECOME CLOSER IN VALUE AND SOMEONE WOULD BE WILLING TO DO THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STILL HAVE HOPE THAT MIGHT HAPPEN SOMEDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOULD EVEN CONSIDER THROWIN IN HICKEY....

SO FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH I THINK YOU GOT ONE SICK LOOKIN BIKE MY FRIEND !

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My girlfriend said, "Hey look on the bright side, at least you don't have to spend 200 dollars and effort on a projector retrofit."

I hate it when shes a smartass.

Thanks for the support. I'm sure in 2 months and some time, I'll have it running and looking how I want.
she just tossed salt in the wound:hmm

I stopped telling my old woman things about the bike for this reason. If she said that to me, my response would have been.....".....sigh....get away from me"

1 - 20 of 141 Posts