Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Barnett clutch plates in for my 2013 ZX6R. The paper says soak for 1-3 minutes and wipe. I've always heard to soak at least an hour but ideally overnight. Recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can slather oil on them and go. No need to soak, they don't soak up anything.

No doubt some will reply I'm making that up, but feel free to use a digital caliper and measure them dry and after "soaking" over night. They'll be the exact same. The only reason they tell you to put oil on them is to prevent any initial chatter/sticking of the fibers the first few times you pull in the clutch to prevent it from being "grabby".

If anyone thinks the oil 'soaked' into the fibers gets retained when you pull the clutch in at 10,000 RPMs, I have some ocean front property in Montana I'd love to sell you.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
^ ha ha ha ....

It is a wet clutch, they need to be wet!!!!!!!!!! and while you most certainly do not need to soak them overnight or even for more than a couple minutes (since modern day clutch run much drier than they did in the 70's or 80's when part of the clutch basket was commonly in the oil bath and modern day baskets are high above the oil line and feed far less oil to the clutch plates)

The frictions do indeed "soak in some oil"......... how about you weigh them dry then weigh them wet and you will see the difference......nobody anywhere except possibly an idiot on the internet claimed they soak in oil and get thicker, how the fuck would that work for setting up stack height.....jesus!!!

only an idiot would claim a wet clutch can run dry with the only side effect being a little chatter......fucking dumbs, too many fucking dumbs!

·
Registered
670 Posts
^ ha ha ha ....

It is a wet clutch, they need to be wet!!!!!!!!!! and while you most certainly do not need to soak them overnight or even for more than a couple minutes (since modern day clutch run much drier than they did in the 70's or 80's when part of the clutch basket was commonly in the oil bath and modern day baskets are high above the oil line and feed far less oil to the clutch plates)

The frictions do indeed "soak in some oil"......... how about you weigh them dry then weigh them wet and you will see the difference......nobody anywhere except possibly an idiot on the internet claimed they soak in oil and get thicker, how the fuck would that work for setting up stack height.....jesus!!!

only an idiot would claim a wet clutch can run dry with the only side effect being a little chatter......fucking dumbs, too many fucking dumbs!
So what's the weight difference? Since you're such an expert

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
So what's the weight difference? Since you're such an expert
How about you do your own fact checking and quit being a fucking idiot giving false advice of stupidity!

fyi, you are going to need a very accurate scale!

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
It's enough for me to remember basic physics... Porosity is a factor. The frictions are made of material that is compressed onto their backing plates under tremendous pressure, same as brakea pads. If you think about it, they're doing very similar jobs. If you contaminate brake pads, it's common practice to replace because you can't get the oil back out of them. The steels also absorb a tiny amount of oil, same a a cast iron pan or a wok seasons.

we've all seen the presentation where the professor fills a glass container with large things, then pours in finer material to fill the gaps, then does it again with something finer yet...... and then fills the glass with a liquid.

That process continues down to the atomic scale. There's room in the friction materials to absorb some amount of oil.

·
Registered
670 Posts
How about you do your own fact checking and quit being a fucking idiot giving false advice of stupidity!

fyi, you are going to need a very accurate scale!
So what you're saying is that you can't definitively prove otherwise, without retorting to insults (which are fun, not arguing that). Nothing screams ignorant like not being able to adequately support your argument. :)

Hundreds of drag racers replace their steels/fibers every drag weekend and don't soak them.

Still waiting to see about a clutch failure from not soaking the plates.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's enough for me to remember basic physics... Porosity is a factor. The frictions are made of material that is compressed onto their backing plates under tremendous pressure, same as brakea pads. If you think about it, they're doing very similar jobs. If you contaminate brake pads, it's common practice to replace because you can't get the oil back out of them. The steels also absorb a tiny amount of oil, same a a cast iron pan or a wok seasons.

we've all seen the presentation where the professor fills a glass container with large things, then pours in finer material to fill the gaps, then does it again with something finer yet...... and then fills the glass with a liquid.

That process continues down to the atomic scale. There's room in the friction materials to absorb some amount of oil.
Would these friction & steel plates, if assembled completely dry, not absorb oil when there's 40+PSI of oil being pushing through the clutch basket oiling holes?

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
So what you're saying is that you can't definitively prove otherwise, without retorting to insults (which are fun, not arguing that). Nothing screams ignorant like not being able to adequately support your argument. :)

Hundreds of drag racers replace their steels/fibers every drag weekend and don't soak them.

Still waiting to see about a clutch failure from not soaking the plates.

Nope........... What I said is crystal clear...........

You are giving shitty advice and acting like a fucking moron of stupidity!

I can of course difinitively prove my case, but at current I do not have a clutch apart and in need of replacement.......... but hey the next time I do I will the frictions dry and then weigh them again once they are soaked with a little oil...

but that isn't even the point............ the point is, they are a wet clutch system and are not going to work as designed being dry!!!!!!!!!!

Quit being a fucking asshat about your stupidity!!

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Would these friction & steel plates, if assembled completely dry, not absorb oil when there's 40+PSI of oil being pushing through the clutch basket oiling holes?
Over time. Better to start as intended, than presume nothing will happen while that time is expended. HOw long does it take to glaze a clutch friction, or warp a steel? Why take that chance?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nope........... What I said is crystal clear...........

You are giving shitty advice and acting like a fucking moron of stupidity!

I can of course difinitively prove my case, but at current I do not have a clutch apart and in need of replacement.......... but hey the next time I do I will the frictions dry and then weigh them again once they are soaked with a little oil...

but that isn't even the point............ the point is, they are a wet clutch system and are not going to work as designed being dry!!!!!!!!!!

Quit being a fucking asshat about your stupidity!!
You big mad, huh? LOL

You can soak clutch plates for 4 years in a bucket of oil before installation, they will not be any more soaked than a set of fibers installed dry and ran for the same amount of miles.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Over time. Better to start as intended, than presume nothing will happen while that time is expended. HOw long does it take to glaze a clutch friction, or warp a steel? Why take that chance?
Glazing a clutch or warping a steel comes from slippage, not from outright grip.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
You big mad, huh? LOL

You can soak clutch plates for 4 years in a bucket of oil before installation, they will not be any more soaked than a set of fibers installed dry and ran for the same amount of miles.
nope, just sick and tired of morons giving the wrong information constantly then getting all butt hurt when someone calls them out on their moronic stupidity of misinformation......... !!!

and fyi.......... clutch plates soaked in a bucket of oil for 4 years will have zero miles on them vs.... clutch plates installed dry and ran at all............. you are comparing apples and walnuts........

Again juist STFU and stop proving how wrong you are!! we all know you are wrong and giving false information and can't come up with any solid proff to thee contrary other than trying to make others prove a negative for you...... You sound just like the fucking dumbocraps in congress

·
Registered
670 Posts
nope, just sick and tired of morons giving the wrong information constantly then getting all butt hurt when someone calls them out on their moronic stupidity of misinformation......... !!!

and fyi.......... clutch plates soaked in a bucket of oil for 4 years will have zero miles on them vs.... clutch plates installed dry and ran at all............. you are comparing apples and walnuts........

Again juist STFU and stop proving how wrong you are!! we all know you are wrong and giving false information and can't come up with any solid proff to thee contrary other than trying to make others prove a negative for you...... You sound just like the fucking dumbocraps in congress
Ironic, given your signature is just as applicable to you as it is to me.

I operate off real world experience and have definitely adjusted my outlook on things over the years, but here you are, crying more than the "cry baby dems in congress". I figured you'd just prove some real world experience.

Aside from insults, you literally have proved nothing to invalidate my case. My case is that I have, multiple times in in the past, installed clutch plates completely dry and there's been absolutely zero clutch failures as a result. Pull in the clutch 2-3 times to separate the plates once it's assembled and running...it's fine.

You MIGHT have the clutch feel slightly grabby the first time you try to put it in gear afterwards if you did...but that's it.

Isn't it weird that so many regurgitate to soak the clutch plates...wouldn't the pressure of the springs negate that effort and 'squeeze' the oil out anyways if that was the case?

Keep throwing more baby back bitch temper tantrums though. It's entertaining. :)

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
^ You are being a complete fucking idiot!!!!!!!!!

but hey that is your prerogative!

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
And still you have given zero proof of your argument........
ZERO !! just some bullshit speculative statement making the claim that because some drag racers put them in dry and change them often that it must be okay for everyone..........
STUPID statement that doesn't even relate to any normal rider who isn't getting clutches for free and doesn't have a crew of mechanics doing all the work via sponsorship monies

you are still being the fucking idiot that is who!

·
Registered
670 Posts
And still you have given zero proof of your argument........
ZERO !! just some bullshit speculative statement making the claim that because some drag racers put them in dry and change them often that it must be okay for everyone..........
STUPID statement that doesn't even relate to any normal rider who isn't getting clutches for free and doesn't have a crew of mechanics doing all the work via sponsorship monies

you are still being the fucking idiot that is who!
My "proof" is my personal experience, as well as friends and the open invitation to anyone to go to their local drag track and see the same thing I'm mentioning.

Like I stated before, I'm always open to changing my own program if I find a better/easier route that works. You've shown nothing so far.

So it's you that's stating that you have to oil them, but soaking them overnight isn't needed. But some clutch manufactures state to soak them over night, so why are you not agreeing with the maker of the fibers?

It's hysterical that your replies can be used as a copy and paste against yourself. Your small brained, child like responses do nothing to further your stance to the point where your own argument is exactly what you stated - a "just some bullshit speculative statement".

Nut up or shut up. Show me these failed clutches from being installed dry. If soaking clutch plates was known to extend clutch life, wouldn't every single drag racer have their plates pre soaked in baggies before install? Some do, a lot do not. Arguably they are the biggest crowd that are hardest on clutches.

Thus far, the only thing you're capable of is retorting with remarks that do nothing to contribute to the topic at hand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts