Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since joining this forum some time ago I have noticed a good bit of hate dished out on the 07-08 generation. What I want to know is, why? Are there any legit reasons why people hate on it?

Other than the VC gasket issue (really no big deal) which was addressed by Kawi and fixed under recall, are there any real shortcomings with the bike? I know there was a period during the production of these bikes that had internal engine issues as well, but I dont seem to read about it often and have not dealt with it first hand either. From working on them, my only complaint is the idiotic placement of the oil filter, but I have not encountered any other real issues.

So why all the hate?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Curious myself.

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
461 Posts
oh you have just opened a can of worms lol. . the 07 08 got crap ratings from most mags due to being tested without the jumper mod so it was lower on power than the rest of the 07 08 bikes.. from there it went downhill with everyone jumping on the 07s are junk bikes bandwagon.. ultimately once the jumper mod is in place they are right there along with all the other 07 08 tested shootout bikes.. and once you start modding whoever has the deepest pockets wins. regardless of the year of the bike, personally i have no complaints with my 07 and what ive done power and weight wise.. i get to ride a crap load of bikes at work and every 600 cc is damn close power wise once modded.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I think it looks like a goofball...the headlights are really lame.
To be honest I actually like the headlights. And if you remove the underside of the tail section it looks pretty sharp as well.

Regardless, looks are all subjective. I want to know if there are any real issues or shortfalls.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 07 has 17k miles on it. Valves adjusted a 16k. No problems.

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
726 Posts
oh you have just opened a can of worms lol. . the 07 08 got crap ratings from most mags due to being tested without the jumper mod so it was lower on powen the rest of the 07 es.. from there it went downhill with everyone jumping on the 07s are junk bikes bandwagon.. ultimately once the jumper mod is in place they are right there along with all the other 07 08 tested shootout bikes.. and once you start modding whoever has the deepest pockets wins. regardless of the year of the bike, personally i have no complaints with my 07 and what ive done power and weight wise.. i get to ride a crap load of bikes at work and every 600 cc is damn close power wise once modded.
100% spot on regarding jumper mod....once done it was as powerful as r6, buzzer etc and actually got best gearbox and brakes in class. As far as handling goes their superb and noones gona find the limmit who isn't a top class rider

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
There isn't a lot of dislike for the '07-'08. What you see is that Burnt Toast will offer up his hatred of these bikes in every single thread related to them. It makes it appear that everyone hates them when in point of fact there is only one person that hates them.

There are really only a couple of legitimate issues with them. The valve cover gasket issue which once fixed is a non-issue. The US ECU programing which is fixed by the no cost jumper mod. Until fixed, this makes them appear underpowered on the dyno graphs. They are heavier than the previous generation bikes. This is a legit complaint and it's costly to correct. And the fork is not a great piece as the valving can not be modified without replacing the cartridge.

I'm sure he will chime in and tell you the engines are junk but there are just as many threads about other generations of bikes engines blowing up too.

But the point is one member makes it appear that these years are hated when that really isn't the case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive seen a bunch of negatives but im pretty much to new to say one way or the other. Im approaching the 1000 mile mark on my 07 and haven't had any issues or complaints with anything. Ive ridden my brothers 05 a good bit and I cant tell much of a difference between the two. Aesthetics wise I like the look of the 05-06 and 09-current better on the front end (headlights) and prefer the side exhaust but these aren't enough to make me hate a bike lol.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah ... given a few mild faults ... gimme the lamest sport bike on the planet and I'll still outperform 95% or more of all vehicles on the road. Add to that the never ending quest for the good form that it takes for man and his machine to really be one during the ride, and I don't think there's a sport bike out there that wouldn't make me happy.

We have a 2013 Triumph Daytona 675 R in the garage (youngest kid's bike). Does it out perform my 08? Yep. Is it really so much more fun that after taking it on a ride, I no longer want my 08 ZedEx? Not at all. The Daytona out performs every 600 class bike on the planet, fwiw. You gonna trade in yours? Of course not. And I suppose nobody is meaning that, anyway.

The 08 ... let me digress ... not quite as much power, it's prone to running VERY hot, some people don't like the tamped-down front fairing and very low OEM screen. Then of course the gasket recall ... there's no denying the facts that is probably the poorest bike that Kawi has put out in quite some time, relatively speaking.

I look at it like this: I don't have to have the shiniest toy in the box to play like a happy boy. My 08 goes way faster than I should "need" to go, it stops quick enough to throw me if squeeze the brake like a nub, if I wanted to I could do any trick with it you can name [some beyond my ability but none beyond the bike's ability] and Lord willing it will see me through many more happy years.

True Love:

EDIT: One of the things that we need to develop is the ability to hear strong teaching or admonition or for that matter any truth without being offended. When people point out the faults of a given model, it's no disrespect toward the bike or the people who own it. We'll keep rocking our 07 / 08's, and whatever information we can get on the bike we love, whether that info is flattering or not so flattering, is all part of owning the bike ... the good and the bad of the model ... and loving a bike is knowing the good and the bad. Off my soap box.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There isn't a lot of dislike for the '07-'08. What you see is that Burnt Toast will offer up his hatred of these bikes in every single thread related to them. It makes it appear that everyone hates them when in point of fact there is only one person that hates them.

But the point is one member makes it appear that these years are hated when that really isn't the case.
I have seen BT offer up his distaste with this model, but I have seen others bash them as well.

Just never really understood it and based on these responses it sounds like my confusion is warranted.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... there's no denying the facts that is probably the poorest bike that Kawi has put out in quite some time, relatively speaking.
But is it?

Every generation has its issues. For example, my bike is an 06, and for all the love extended to the 05-06, it has issues of its own. The 05 has an ECU that can be fairly easily overwhelmed with heat and become a paper weight. Both the 05 and 06 have a MC with a known pressure loss issue from the factory due to a poorly designed piston. The Tokico calipers have been bashed to death for poor feedback and lack of power. The transmission has an issue with 2nd gear that is considered by many to be a ticking time bomb.

There are very few vehicles out there, whether it be a car, boat, plane, motorcycle, etc. that doesnt have issues and growing pains.

·
Registered
461 Posts
every bike has its issues. the power output of the 07 08 is easily changed by adding a few things and a good tune.. i squeezed 116 to the wheel from mine. which even if that dyno is a hp or 2 high or low its still good for a bike that came around 100 stock unmodified.the handling of the 07 is great, even compared to the god of all track bike R6 that everyone raves about every year.. so its going to come down to what you like best . ride it , mod it and youll be happy

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't think it has to do so much with comparison to other 600s as it does to Kawasaki's own lineage. The 05-06 636 was so popular with its "cheater" engine and good looks, and the 09 was the best trackbike and street bike of its generation in the 600 class far and away with its big piston forks and high hp ...the 07-08 was neither...so it gets treated like a middle child. :)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
First of all, just to clear something up.

You CANNOT compare any modded bike to any stock bike. You can't. You just can't. Doing so invalidates your argument automatically.

Second, be objective. So objectively, the fact is : the 07-08 bikes were under-powered.

I am searching for another thread that had some other information in it. If I find it, I'll post the info if it seems factual.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
They probably spend more time reading specs and reviews on the internet than riding. ;)

1 - 20 of 202 Posts