Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. Just wanted to give an update on my previous post: http://zx6r.com/mechanical-technical/100577-so-so-sad.html

I decided to start by removing the fuel tank and clean that just to make sure the fuel wasnt the problem. The mechanics had told me to get myself some new carbs as they were the problem. I had told them I thought I had made a mistake with the fuel but they were fairly adamant that the problem lied with the carbs. After cleaning the tank that looked really clean, I noticed the on position fuel tube had come off and was lying inside the tank. I suppose this means that the fuel was going in unfiltered, at least from the tank and is probably the reason why I couldnt get any fuel when switching to reserve. After cleaning and drying, put it all back and boom. Works again like a charm. Could bad fuel be causing issues on low revs? why would high revs work perfect? I didnt do anything to the carbs.

the only problem I have now, is that when revving, there is quite a delay before going back to idle. Could this be the butterflies not closing fast enough? Anything I should look at? I will be buying some "Forté Moto Power II" to add to the fuel next time I fill up.

I was kind of looking forward to taking the carbs out and cleaning them but as it is working now, I might leave it till next time I have a problem.

:)

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Low rev's. MY guess is your statement
I suppose this means that the fuel was going in unfiltered
Idle circuit has crap in it. Those are pretty small and doesn't take much to clog them.

SO, think it would be good time to note position of carbs in the boots, cables etc.
Pull them, safety glass and can of carb cleaner. Pull the jets, floats and give them a nice cleaning.
Just about every hole (port) will allow the carb cleaner to flow. If it doesn't you will get blow back, reason for the safety glasses. That stuff stings in the eyes.
Good clean out and you should be set. OH, make sure you do not overdrive the idle screws finding there position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the feedback but its working fine without having cleaned anything. Just draining the tank. If it was due to dirt coming in through the unfiltered path, it should have worked ok using the res position shouldnt it? The only problem now is when idling. It idles fine but doesnt return to idle fast enough after pulling the throttle. What could this be? Another problem is it choaks for a millisecond sometimes. I think this might be because i didnt dry the tank well enough and have some water mixed with the fuel. Is that plausible?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again. Just wanted to post an update on the situation. First of all the bike was running very high on idle. Simple solution of just screwing the idle to the lowest possible rev setting. The other problem was going back to idle was very slow. From what I read this would indicate a vacuum leak. I initially thought of the carb boots so started taking the tank off etc. I noticed the hose that goes from the tank to the filter had a tiny tear so cut that part off and reconnected everything and behold!!! All is running perfect. Yippeeeeeeee!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts