Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1990 zx600 to have as a project bike. I already knew the thing wouldn't start, so before tearing it completely apart, I tried to start it. I can hear the engine turn, but it's very weak. I tried that a few times and looked at the engine only to find that I had smoke coming from the electric starter! Once the smoke cleared, I tried again and I had the same issue until the battery died from trying to start (it was only a few tries).

I came today with another idea, only when I tried to start it, I didn't even get to the engine turning over. This time I had a click coming from the magnetic switch, quickly followed by smoke from the posative terminal on the magnetic switch.

I figure I have a short somewhere, can someone help me out with where to look? I have a volt meter and a service manual on the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the electric starter out and took the cap off. It smelled burnt, so I'm pretty sure this has the short in it.

Does anyone know if I can replace part of it (I can buy it in pieces), or do I just need to replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
739 Posts
How long was that thing sitting before you tried to fire it up. The starter is cooked. But if that bike had been sitting for a really long time and you just thumbed the starter without checking a few other things out first you may have done more damage than you realize.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How long did you crank it?? Remove starter and bench test it with a good car battery or equivalent. If it still smokes have it rebuilt or pick up a new one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Clean the solenoid contacts if nothing else and see what happens

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how long this thing was sitting before I started it. What types of things should I have checked before I tried starting it? I'm not too concerned if I fried something else this time around, I'm actually picking up another bike as a parts bike this weekend, haha. I just want to make sure I get this figured out so I don't break the backup.

I didn't crank it long, 2-4 seconds with a 15-30 second pause between to look around.

My manual came in today, so I will ohm out the starter to see if I can find what I need to replace if not the whole thing. I will check out the armature too.

I was also told my battery could have done it if it's an old battery. Can a multi-meter check the battery capabilities to see if there is something wrong with it? I can get it checked out at a auto parts store too if I know what I'm looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts