Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 has started slipping under hard acceleration, in higher RPM's. It not a problem at smooth acceleration, but if i jump on it, once I get up to say 8-9K there will be a momentary skip. The engine will be pulling, than there is a quick loss of power and higher rev, than goes back to pulling fine. First time it happened I thought my tire had just lost traction momentarily.

Any ideas? Think it has a newer sprocket, and def. a newer chain. Chain seems a little loose, but not terrible. Will work on tightening that this weekend.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 06 has started slipping under hard acceleration, in higher RPM's. It not a problem at smooth acceleration, but if i jump on it, once I get up to say 8-9K there will be a momentary skip. The engine will be pulling, than there is a quick loss of power and higher rev, than goes back to pulling fine. First time it happened I thought my tire had just lost traction momentarily.

Any ideas? Think it has a newer sprocket, and def. a newer chain. Chain seems a little loose, but not terrible. Will work on tightening that this weekend.

Thanks for any help.
Check to make sure their is slack in your clutch cable. You should be able to move the lever a small amount until you feel resistance. If that is okay, you will need to look at your clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,503 Posts

Thanks for any help.
How old are your chain and sprockets? What about your tires? Pressure, wear....

Pics would help.

Intermittent shuddering would make me think final drive.... Have you physically looked at the front sprocket?

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
Adjust your clutch cable to give it some slack.
If you already have the required slack, then your clutch plates are probably worn out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there is slack in the cable, still happening. Plates seem pretty easy to change. Do I buy a whole set? Any particular brand?

And is it ok to ride in the mean time, as long as I don't ride hard?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Second that...OEM is perfectly fine. If it's an old bike, I'd suggest getting new steels as well. Pay attention to the specific thickness of the steels and their relative location in the stack. Also, make sure you soak the new clutch plates in the motor oil. I like to let them soak overnight, but one hour should be sufficient as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could cause excessive wear/burning on a slipping clutch. I had this on my previous bike, but not as bad as it sounds like you are experiencing. A new clutch plate set, steels and frictions, and new clutch pack springs go a long way. On that bike the previous owners and myself got about 20k miles out of the stock clutch.

I think in the service manual also it will list the tolerance for acceptable thickness of the clutch plates, worth checking if you're pulling it all out. Maybe lube the clutch cable while you're at it, since you said it has slack, make sure its not sticking.
-Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered new plates, steel and springs. Hopefully be here by this weekend. I'll post back when I get them installed.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts