Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 zx6rr and want to look at getting a slipper clutch as im sick of down shifting and getting a small compression lock up. does anyone know what brands are good and also where to buy from in australia. cheers chris

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
It would be a lot easier to learn how to use the throttle on the down shift. It would be a lot, a lot cheaper too. Does the amount of times you lock up the rear wheel warrant a slipper clutch? Probably not. Unless you're doing some hard core track time it would probably be best to stick with blipping the throttle. Your money could be spent on other better things, like suspension or track days.

Road Rocket used to sell slipper clutches for Ducati's. Their website makes me want to poke my eyes out with a swizzle stick though. I assume they'd carry stuff for Japanese bikes too. I can't recall ever seeing slipper clutches in any Australian online stores but it's been a long time since I bought anything.

Hey, how's the bike roads town in Tassie? Always wanted to go there.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You should not need a slipper clutch for the street. The only time I really want one is going into turn 5 at button Willows because there is a hill and then very hard breaking and down shifting and there just is not enough time for me to click down gears and break and turn in with out slipping the clutch the whole time.

you can simply slip your clutch instead of having a slipper clutch. When you need to go down like 3-4 gears in a hard breaking situation just control the throttle and don't let your clutch out all the way wait for the bike to slow down before snapping out that clutch!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i always do the blip on the down shit when hooning through the hills on the long way home, helps heaps

·
Registered
348 Posts
You have a slipper clutch! All RR models have them, 03 & 04. That compression feeling is the slipper clutch working. If it was not there you'd get a whole lotta hopping around from the back tire.

Is there something about AU RR's that i'm unaware of? Cause someone should have said this like 4 posts ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah thats what it does locks up and the back wheel skips round abit. im not real concerned i went riding yesterday and tried a few different things and it was good

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 My 04 has a slipper, and read that all 03 and 04 RR's had them. The bike was designed for track use. They had to make at least 1000 units for the AMA to race.

You have a slipper clutch! All RR models have them, 03 & 04. That compression feeling is the slipper clutch working. If it was not there you'd get a whole lotta hopping around from the back tire.

Is there something about AU RR's that i'm unaware of? Cause someone should have said this like 4 posts ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts