Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in MD and have a 2012 zx6r and I am looking for advice for which slip on is better.

Either

A) m4 slip on

or

B) hotbodies megaphone

I like how they both look although with the M4 I hear you need to remove one of the lower fairing pieces. All I've heard is that the M4 is awesome but the hotbodies megaphone looks just as good and is a direct fit without modding or removing anything. Plus it looks like the M4 interferes with foot placement as the hotbodies megaphone seems to give your shoes a little more room.

Will these work fine with stock exhaust? AKA will I get backfire with these on stock exhaust? I don't like messing with stuff too much so a slip on that fits directly and does not cause backfire is most ideal. I just need something louder but still legal so cars can actually hear me.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Yes, M4 removes the prechamber and the lower cowling piece that covers it.

No, M4 will no affect your foot placement. I have 11.5 boots and even if I tried I was never able to touch.

Opinion, slash cuts (hotbodies megaphone) sound like gargling elephant shit

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
M4 > Hotbodies

Wouldn't even waste my time (or my money) with the 2nd choice. (Not that I'd buy either of them personally)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I personally would say neither. Although I would go with the M4 Street Slayer as opposed to the GP

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
M4 sounds very nice. Both of those exhausts are gonna be very loud and illegal but hopefully cops wont give u shit about it. And yes...it will backfire with both of those exhausts!

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
M4 sounds very nice. Both of those exhausts are gonna be very loud and illegal but hopefully cops wont give u shit about it. And yes...it will backfire with both of those exhausts!
Unless you do the block offs... then it'll kill most of the AFTERfire. :D (Backfire goes back into the intakes... afterfire goes out the exhaust)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just was just told you loose a good amount of gas mileage with the m4 slip on. Is this also true for the megaphone or no? The megaphone allows the cat to still be on but I'm not sure if the cat is what causes determines the overall gas mileage.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A guy walked up to me in walmart yesterday and said "is that your red bike out there?" I'm like fuck..."yeah" "That thing sounds nice, I hear you every morning. I can hear you for like 3 miles before i see you"(he was drunk so this has got to be exaggerated)

So I agree m4 is loud and looks good. I do find it messes with my footing a little bit, if i put my foot too far back.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just was just told you loose a good amount of gas mileage with the m4 slip on. Is this also true for the megaphone or no? The megaphone allows the cat to still be on but I'm not sure if the cat is what causes determines the overall gas mileage.
No, the amount of fuel going into the cylinders determines the mileage :) Unless you get a fuel controller as well, I can't see a slip on messing with the mileage much if at all unless I'm mistaken :O

·
Registered
586 Posts
No, the amount of fuel going into the cylinders determines the mileage :) Unless you get a fuel controller as well, I can't see a slip on messing with the mileage much if at all unless I'm mistaken :O
Any changes to intake OR exhaust changes AFR which can affect mileage.

Oh and M4 most definately to answer original question.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I can see intake changing the AFR. But exhaust...probably very minimal where you wont even notice.
It matters just as much as the intake in affecting AFR. I wont go into the details, as im to lazy to explain everything but you can google it if you like :)

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
It matters just as much as the intake in affecting AFR. I wont go into the details, as im to lazy to explain everything but you can google it if you like :)
Definitely not as much. There are so many sensors on the engine that monitor the intake of air for correct fuel mixture. How many are there for the exhaust??

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Definitely not as much. There are so many sensors on the engine that monitor the intake of air for correct fuel mixture. How many are there for the exhaust??
About the same actually. Every electronically controlled engine must have an air intake sensor to measure air mass either by absolute manifold pressure or my mass air flow (you might be able to get away with just temperature), and an oxygen sensor in the exhaust stream to cross check the amount of fuel used. Basically, air volume going in gets accounted for, the computer uses the appropriate amount of fuel per the programming for that amount of air, and the oxygen sensor reads exhaust "air" to see how well the computer calculated. You throw a code (EFI light) when the readings from either sensor is out of range.

This depends entirely on what portion of the exhaust system is modified. A slip-on has very little effect on scavenging, which is why you don't gain more than 1 or 2hp with a free-flowing muffler. Because of the minimal effect on scavenging, you're therefore not drawing any more air into the cylinders, or at least not enough that the OEM computer can't compensate for. It's only when you open up the header that you start to draw more air through the engine, necessitating a fuel controller since it becomes out of scope for the OEM computer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When I had the M4 GP pipe on my bike I got the exact same gas mileage as I did with the stock pipe, as well as the exact same mileage as I currently get with my Leo Vince pipe. It is only when you start messing with air flow through the engine, and adjusting the fuel to compensate, where you end up with different mileage. The cat is only there to reduce CO and NOx emissions. Also as an FYI, the cat is in the header, not that bug chunk between the header and muffler.

·
Registered
586 Posts
About the same actually. Every electronically controlled engine must have an air intake sensor to measure air mass either by absolute manifold pressure or my mass air flow (you might be able to get away with just temperature), and an oxygen sensor in the exhaust stream to cross check the amount of fuel used. Basically, air volume going in gets accounted for, the computer uses the appropriate amount of fuel per the programming for that amount of air, and the oxygen sensor reads exhaust "air" to see how well the computer calculated. You throw a code (EFI light) when the readings from either sensor is out of range.

This depends entirely on what portion of the exhaust system is modified. A slip-on has very little effect on scavenging, which is why you don't gain more than 1 or 2hp with a free-flowing muffler. Because of the minimal effect on scavenging, you're therefore not drawing any more air into the cylinders, or at least not enough that the OEM computer can't compensate for. It's only when you open up the header that you start to draw more air through the engine, necessitating a fuel controller since it becomes out of scope for the OEM computer.
See i knew someone would explain it... :)

The amount of change with a slip-on is largely dependant on whether or not the bike has a CAT and by what slip-on. M4 GP without the quite baffle is basically an open header with a megaphone designed to make the ex. note sound good. On a bike with a CAT it doesnt make as much difference in the backpressure since the CAT has its own restriction like a second muffler.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with ZXnasty. No foot placement issues. Cosmetically you only loose the heat shield directly below the rider peg. I just put mine on a week ago. Sounds deep at low rpm's & loud while rolling. I peeled my decals off my '12 & most ppl think it's a ZX10 due to the sound. A guy with a Hotbodies on his 6R was rolling next to me on the street. Looks & sounds like crap in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts