Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. so looking at buying a 2015 zx6r this week and the first thing i want to do is get sliders for the bike. i like the idea of race rails but from what i can tell it seems you have to cut the fairing for them..am i wrong? if you ill stick with no cut frame sliders. any thoughts and ideas? just joined so still working through the search bar. thanks for the advice and cant wait to join the zx6r family

·
Registered
248 Posts
FYI sliders are pretty much only good for low speed crashes or just driveway tip-overs. Heard too many horror stories of how sliders did more damage to a bike at higher rates of speed such as catching the ground causing the bike to flip or breaking off and damaging the motor and mount...just a little fyi

·
Registered
73 Posts
IMO save your money on frame sliders and invest in case covers. Sliders, as people have said, can potentially do more harm than good. The worse thing that can happen is your $50 investment totals the bike either by bending the frame & engine mounts or flipping your bike like a gymnast.

I was in an accident last month and when I went to check the bike out at the shop, the slider bolt had actually bent the frame. They were Woodcraft too and were recommended as the best sliders to get.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm with others that say sliders are good for a tip over in the driveway, or lets say a low speed crash.

However, at what speed did these other guys wreck their bikes on the roadway that didn't completely total out the bike? I am all for frame sliders. Saved my old R6 from a lot more damage when I hit the pavement at 40. (And yes I know the slider spot in the newer 6's is a weak spot in the frame.)

If the bike goes down at a rate of speed that the slider didn't help, Im sure one will have bigger worries such as forks, gas tank, wheels, half of the plastics, maybe some headlight housing, levers, bars, etc... And if that was the case, I would turn it into the insurance, because that would be called a totaled bike.

Case Covers can help and are probably worth it. I don't know much about them. I figure they don't save your tank, or plastics, so...

I look at it this way, if you wreck your bike on the road, not a track, at lets say 70mph, sliders or not, your bike is gunna be jacked up. And hopefully you don't only have liability.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
race rails
Funny that they call them "Race Rails" but you'd never see them on an actual race bike :O

:D

IMO save your money on frame sliders and invest in case covers. Sliders, as people have said, can potentially do more harm than good. The worse thing that can happen is your $50 investment totals the bike either by bending the frame & engine mounts or flipping your bike like a gymnast.
^^^ This

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm with others that say sliders are good for a tip over in the driveway, or lets say a low speed crash.

However, at what speed did these other guys wreck their bikes on the roadway that didn't completely total out the bike? I am all for frame sliders. Saved my old R6 from a lot more damage when I hit the pavement at 40. (And yes I know the slider spot in the newer 6's is a weak spot in the frame.)

If the bike goes down at a rate of speed that the slider didn't help, Im sure one will have bigger worries such as forks, gas tank, wheels, half of the plastics, maybe some headlight housing, levers, bars, etc... And if that was the case, I would turn it into the insurance, because that would be called a totaled bike.

Case Covers can help and are probably worth it. I don't know much about them. I figure they don't save your tank, or plastics, so...

I look at it this way, if you wreck your bike on the road, not a track, at lets say 70mph, sliders or not, your bike is gunna be jacked up. And hopefully you don't only have liability.
I got sliders for the "close to the deductible crash", and by that I mean when it falls over at less than 20 mph or in garage/street.
If I had liability only I don't think I would run them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello. so looking at buying a 2015 zx6r this week and the first thing i want to do is get sliders for the bike. i like the idea of race rails but from what i can tell it seems you have to cut the fairing for them..am i wrong? if you ill stick with no cut frame sliders. any thoughts and ideas? just joined so still working through the search bar. thanks for the advice and cant wait to join the zx6r family
My OES sliders held up really really well during the 2 crashes I have ever had, one doing 10mph and second one doing 40mph

but if i could do everything all over again, I would've gotten the cheap chinese fairing and replace it with the oem ones on the bike, so i dont have to worry about the fairing getting scratched or trashed. And even get 2 sets off ebay and have 1 set sitting around in case you crash and need replacement, you don't have to wait for a month of shipping.:coocoo

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI sliders are pretty much only good for low speed crashes or just driveway tip-overs. Heard too many horror stories of how sliders did more damage to a bike at higher rates of speed such as catching the ground causing the bike to flip or breaking off and damaging the motor and mount...just a little fyi
Im going to be a new rider fyi. but ive been doing some research and in your opinion are case sliders better? btw is there more types of sliders then just case and frame slider?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

I'd rather replace plastics and a gas tank than a frame when the frame sliders break it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts